Saturday, December 17, 2011

Loving Pearl Jam's 20


There are a couple of albums that I play at least once a month: The Boxer Rebellion's Union, Counting Crow's August and Everything After, Zwan's Mary Star of the Sea, and Pearl Jam's Rearview Mirror. Although I came of age with the punk and new wave scene of the 1980s, I have always preferred the 90's alternative music explosion. I was a huge Nirvana, Helmet, and Oasis fan then. I liked Pearl Jam but not in the way I do since the turn of the century. I sort of outgrew Nirvana (I still listen to Nevermind occasionally) and listening to the lyrics of Eddie Vedder really grew on me. When I first heard of Cameron Crowe doing "20" I was excited. Music has played a prominent role with his films and this one was the opposite because the music came first before the film. I picked up both the DVD and CD and spent hours listening and watching both. The songs remain as powerful as ever. Will grab the hardcover coffee table book in a few days. That will complete the experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment