Friday, October 6, 2017

On my turntable this Friday evening: Santana's Abraxas


This is the album that got me into Santana. Released in 1970 by CBS Records, Abraxas was the album that defined all future Santana albums for its deft mix of rock, blues, jazz, and salsa. 


I remember going with my dad to his friend's house in Merville and they'd put on this record and just dance to it. 

It wasn't until their 1979 album, Marathon, that I began buying Santana records. I got my copy of Abraxas in 1982 at this record shop outside the old Fiesta Carnival. And while I don't have it anymore, I managed to get an original American pressing of the album later on. Sounds great on a Friday night. 

Featuring "Oye Como Va", "Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen", and "Samba Pa Ti" among others. "The Incident at Nashbur" closes out side one and it's absolutely beautiful. Gives me that Running on Empty vibe of Jackson Browne. 

Gregg Rolie (who later formed Journey with another Santana alum in Neal Schon) was still on this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment