Friday, April 12, 2019

Hang the DJ (stories)


Reminiscing the Night Before RSD 2019:
I was in third year high school when one of my friends from Colegio de San Agustin asked me if I wanted to spin during a party at San Lorenzo Village. It wasn’t a dance party but more of hanging out and drinking and necking if you found a private place.

I had a mobile group in high school, but this was a solo gig and I said yes. 

Coincidentally, I played an all reggae, dub, and ska set. I have no idea why I chose this when these were the New Wave years.

The guys dug it but the girls pouted at me. One came up to me as I put on the extended version of UB40’s rendition of “Red Red Wine.”

She said, “Why are you playing Mexican music? Do you have any Duran Duran or Wham?”
I didn’t. I answered, “ No entiendo Ingles.”

The girl was surprised and asked my friend, Dionisio, your dj is Chinese but he speaks Spanish?”

Dionisio looked at me and he got the joke. We had a laugh.

By set’s end, they were all dancing to the Specials.

No comments:

Post a Comment