Thursday, July 2, 2020

Don't laugh, but I got into K-Pop as well.


Okay, don't laugh. You will have noticed that the bulk of my music posts here are of artists and music belonging to rock and roll and its myriad sub-genres. Yet, as a kid, I was exposed to many different music style because my father was a record label executive and he brought me around to watch everyone from rock bands to pop and vocal groups to jazz artists. While it was uncool to like them at that age more so since punk and new wave were emerging, there was that room for appreciating that. And it was in the late 1990s when I began to open up to more styles including world music. 

For instance, while I was into Bob Marley and the Wailers and some other acts that had broken commercially, by then I got into more roots Jamaican music. And through the Buena Vista Social Club, got exposed to Cuban and Latin American music.

Was there anywhere else to go? I didn't think so until about two years ago when I got invited to interview some Korean pop star. I didn't know jack about him and totally felt out of place. Honestly, I looked down with disdain those into K-Pop and its cousins. However, I was in the midst of expanding my milieu. 

What I wrote then sounded pedestrian. And I was invited to a second one and I still felt like I was in unchartered land. After that I decided to immerse myself in this phenomenon. 

And I discovered that I began to enjoy some of it (not most of it). And developed an appreciation for it. And that led to watching their dramas, films, and so on.

Now, I have these....



The Descendants of the Sun soundtrack on picture disc vinyl in two snappy looking protective cans.


The soundtracks and DVDs of the popular Crash Landing On You, Where Stars Land, and Descendants of the Sun.


The EP of Girls' Generation -- Gee. Tiffany Young fan here.


No comments:

Post a Comment