Sunday, March 28, 2010

Woz interviews Rick about his Apple stuff

What Apple gear do you have?

I have an iMac, Macbook Pro, Macbook, iPod, iPhone, and very soon, an iPad. I was given another laptop at the office and it took me a while to figure it out again.

So you don’t have a PC anymore?

Nope.

All those Macs. Isn’t that overkill?

I use each unit for something specific. But essentially, everything is backed up on each unit. So I can transfer to one and it’s all there. No need to transfer files via email or flash drive.

Quote: Remember the American Express tag line “Don’t leave without it?” That’s how I feel about my Apple stuff. I feel naked without them.

So you bring everything with you?

Of course not. If I tell you I will have to kill you.

Okay. I want to live -- sheesh -- so let me rephrase the question – what will you bring now –Macbook or iPad?

The iPad. Cheaper to replace. God, I can’t believe I said ‘cheaper.’ (computes mentally about expenses). Sigh.

You must have some workstation at home.

I think of Tony Stark’s workroom in the movie iron Man. It’s a frigging mess. And to think I’m super OC.

What about iTunes?

It is as they say – it changed my musical listening experience. That’s what Apple is all about – not just the technology but the user experience. I’m so OC. My CD collection is filed according to genre then by alphabetic order of the artists and is chronological order for every release. Every disc is in plastic with the jewel case immaculately clean. Every disc is upright and spotless. Every time I play a disc it’s like a major operation in cleaning it and replacing it in the rack.

ITunes eliminated all that. I still buy CDs. Always will. But now, when I buy them, I upload them on my iTunes and put the disc away. I download the album cover and all the details and it’s on my laptop and iPod. I can mix and match with it. Something I was unable to do before. Plus it’s really handy.

Do you think that iPods make people anti-social?

Not really. I think it’s a great ice breaker to ask, “What’s on your iPod?” Like others, if I don’t want to be bugged, I slip on the headphones and I’m gone. Unless you're Jessica Gomes you can bug off.

Touchy bastard you are. Sorry. I don't want to die just yet. Your fave application?

How much time you’ve got?

Will you buy a new iPod?

Arrgghh. Yes, I will.

Any last thoughts on your Apple gear?

I’m a statistic.

Huh? How so?

In 2009, more than 10 million units of iMacs/Macbooks were sold, 24 million iPods were purchased, and 300 Apple Stores were open worldwide to serve customers. I contributed to Apple’s coffers.

No comments:

Post a Comment