Saturday, May 15, 2010

(Join the) Club 8 in Manila

I was still in advertising and to say that seems like a lifetime ago. I have always made it a point to pass by a CD store at least once a week and I remember that day well when I picked up Club 8's debut album Nouvelle on a whim. It was on the indie rack and as was my custom, I'd pick up an CD even without having heard them. Call it foolhardy because there were some misses as well but this was a winner from the start. I have always said that Nouvelle is one of those great after the break-up albums. It's in the vein of Prefab Sprout's Steve McQueen and Pete Yorn's musicforthemorningafter. I became a fan of Club 8 and have picked up all their albums since so when I heard they were coming to Manila then I was going to watch. I guess my excitement and glee shows in the picture with Karolina Komstedt and Johan Agergard.
I came from work and didn't bring my CDs or even my SLR. At the presscon, they gave us a free CD of the new album that was launched internationally here in the Philippines! Cool ain't it?
The performance of Club 8 here will open the floodgates for more indie acts to come over. And the show beginning with front acts Gentle Persuasions, Your Imaginary Friends, and the Camerawalls right to Club 8 was fantastic. I told Clem Castro of the Camerawalls that his band's performance with a Rondalla group was alone worth the price of admission. But I didn't pay my way in. Thanks, Clem!

No comments:

Post a Comment