Saturday, January 9, 2016

Some thoughts before I leave for England...


You know it is getting harder for me to travel on my own. There are pros and cons to everything and traveling alone has its share. 

When I was younger, I didn't mind it and enjoyed it a lot. I liked the freedom. Of going to places and discovering them on my own. Where you could stay as long as you want and not have anyone look at their watch and give you that can-we-go-na look. 

On the other hand, you wish you could share experiences with others. Of course, I have gone abroad with others -- an ex-girlfriend, colleagues, family, or even people you meet on the plane or during your tours.

Of late, that has changed -- that feeling of enjoyment. I guess it is because I am older now. Believe it or not, I prefer staying home than going out. I like hanging out with my kids or fixing stuff or taking care of my dog. And now I prefer to travel with my family than go it alone. It's a different kind of fun.

Two days before I head off to England, I'm feeling a little anxious. I wish my sons were with me. 

When I first took my kids abroad some time ago (they were aged seven and three respectively), it was in Hong Kong and well, it wasn't too enjoyable because the kids were younger and they just wanted to buy toys and go back to the hotel. I told myself the next time we go, it will be when they are older and more mature. 

The next time we did that, Matt was in college while Anthony was in second year high school. It was a lot different.

If before I couldn’t get them to try any other cuisine other than American fastfoods, now it is easier. And they love the different food that we try from Middle Eastern to European to Asian.

They’re more observant about a lot of things. For example, when I took them to Singapore five years ago, my youngest son was counting the luxury cars that served as cabs. 

And when we go sight seeing, they’re all for it!

Since that Hong Kong trip when they were kids, we've gone out four times since and everyone of them were so much more enjoyable.

Now regarding this upcoming trip to England, it’s all about football. My youngest son loves football as much as I do. Although he roots for Arsenal (Liverpool is second for him). We enjoy watching games together and talk about them over meals or what.

Hopefully, the next time I go abroad for a football match, they'll be with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment