Monday, December 31, 2018

Records that I am super happy to have bought this 2018



Records that I am super happy to have bought this 2018
by rick olivares

I bought quite a few records this 2018; okay, a lot. However, towards the end of the year, my purchases slackened because I got almost all the records I wanted.

As a refresher, I started buying records when I was Grade 5, saving up on my allowance to buy music that I liked. By the time I was done with my schooling, I amassed about 2,000 records. Not all of that I bought, of course. I received a lot of promo copies from my father who was president of the Philippine Association of the Record Industry. My rich best friend also gave me a bunch of records as well. 

By the 90s, I switched to compact discs and bought very few records. 

Then in 2015, when a fire gutted my childhood home, I lost almost all my records with some others were lost during Ondoy. I only returned to vinyl full time in December of 2016 (I did buy a few intermittently through the years). 

When I returned to vinyl, I didn’t get all that I lost. I had accumulated a lot of CDs since the 90s and I only got back on vinyl the records I truly liked as a kid then began purchasing new output from new artists.

So, this year, I got a lot but here are a few records that I totally liked and here they are in no particular order.

A Kiss in the Dreamhouse - Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Banshees frightened me. Well, anything of the macabre. My young Catholic self was frightened by these things. I discovered the Banshees at the time when my childhood faves Kiss was said to really mean Knights in Satan’s Service while people backmasked Led Zeppelin. The Goth look of Siouxsie mystified and appealed to me that when I moved to the US, I would attend Goth festivals. 

A Kiss In the Dreamhouse was my first ever Banshees record and I have fond memories of it. The album chilled and haunted me. But I was held in its thrall. Honestly, I cannot remember what happened to my record of this. I do not know if it was burned during the fire or if my mom threw it out. I did buy the CD when I was working in Hong Kong. 

This year, I managed to get back the vinyl and reacquainted myself with the album that vexed me in my youth. And today as it first did, I find myself lost in the album. 

And as a side note, the album contains the song, “Slowdive.” Yes, you guessed it right. Shoegazer band Slowdive got their name from the Banshees song. And I so love Slowdive which is in my Top 10 fave bands of all time so this Banshees album has even greater meaning for me.


Dakila 
Dakila, the Filipino-American band came out in the wake of Santana’s breakout Woodstock performance in the early 1970s. Like their heroes, Santana, they too hailed from the Bay Area. I never got their record as a kid. They remained in and out of my consciousness until I returned to vinyl and finally managed to get two copies of their record as well as seven-inch singles. And I truly love listening to the record. You may say there were copycats, but I remain a fan and am proud of them.

Tale of Two – Identity Crisis
I saw this band quite a few times during their 1980s heyday – at Ultra and at the Araneta Coliseum. I never got their record. I only had the cassette. It sure was great that we had a New Wave band like Identity Crisis back then along with the Dawn. 

I loved the songs “Sumigaw Umawit Ka” and “Imagining October” and wore out my cassette that eventually stopped playing. Meeting three of their members and interviewing them for a story was a thrill. And so was finally getting a copy of this record.

All the Moonstompers – Rancid
I discovered Rancid through the pages of rock and roll magazine Spin back when I was working in Hong Kong. During my lunch breaks, especially on Wednesdays, I would go to the record stores in the neighborhood – HMV along Haiphong Road and the one at the basement of the Silvercord Centre in Tsim Sha Tsui – to check out the new stocks. 

I saw the latest issue of Spin that had Rancid on the cover. I purchased that magazine -- that I still have to this day I must say – and read it over lunch. I went back to the shop by work day’s end and bought the compact disc. Then I bought the vinyl soon after. 

That began a long love affair with the band that like Slowdive is on my Top 10 fave bands of all time. I love that they can switch to punk to hardcore punk to the ska-inflected punk that the Clash popularized. I have all their albums on both vinyl and cd. All except this compilation of their ska recordings. 

I tried getting All the Moonstompers for years, but had no such luck. Until this year. And I so love this record. I have maintained that my fave Rancid albums are And Out Come the Wolves and Life Won’t Wait. All the Moonstompers may be a compilation, but that doesn’t change anything. I love it to pieces.

Incubus Succubus – Xmal Deutschland
I remember hearing “Incubus Succubus” over Capital Radio and I was reminded of the time that I heard Siouxsie and the Banshees for the first time. I didn’t care if I didn’t understand a word as the band sang in their native German, I loved it just the same. I wasn’t able to get the record of this song right away.

I did get their debut album, Fetisch, that cost me money as a young kid. Man, I saved a lot of money for that. And I was disappointed that Fetisch didn’t contain “Incubus Succubus”. I managed to get the record while on a trip to Hong Kong. 

Getting back all those XMal Deutschland records were a priority after losing them to the fire. It wasn’t easy picking them up, but this year, I managed to complete them with “Incubus Succubus” that last to arrive. 


 Quiet Nights – Diana Krall
A beautiful album. I have always been a fan of the talented Ms. Krall and got her first few albums on CD. Then one vinyl, I picked up The Look of Love. Quiet Nights was my second Krall album on vinyl and what a keeper it is. 

How much do I love this record? Well, it stands right next to my Gershwin Songbook, the Stan Getz/ Joao Gilberto album, Miles’ Kind of Blue, and Coltrane’s A Love Supreme.



Love Is Here to Stay – Diana Krall and Tony Bennett
An album that celebrates Gershwin! How about that! And the timeless Tony Bennett who I never get tired of listening to. 

Growing up, my dad would play music by the Rat Pack. And we watched them on television. It took the music of Prefab Sprout to make me really backtrack and listen once more to not only the Rat Pack but also Bennett. And perhaps more importantly, Gershwin. 

From Gershwin, I got into Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. And that led me to Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Count Basie, and many others. 

And that leads me to this album. 

Probot - Probot
I remember when the adverts came out promoting Probot in January of 2004. It was Dave Grohl’s death metal project. These were the years when I was into all the sub-genres of metal – Nu metal, alternative metal, rap metal, industrial metal, and prog metal. Like the Banshees of my youth, death metal scared the shit out of me. I had cds of Arch Enemy, but that was it. 

Then came Probot. I got this because of Dave Grohl. And it became my entry point into death and extreme metal as I checked out Venom, Celtic Frost, Nile, and At the Gates. I am not saying that I am a massive death and extreme metal fan. I think the term is “selective” as I pick and choose because the genre really isn’t for me. 

I still have the cd and getting the original vinyl pressing is pricey. So, the re-issue isn’t so bad. Then as now, I play this record lots.

Keb Darge & Paul Weller present Lost & Found: Rare RNB & Soul
My entry point into Northern Soul was the Style Council, but I only seriously got into Northern Soul around the time of the acid jazz craze of the late 1990s and early years of the new millennium. I don’t have many Northern Soul records. Just a few. So, getting this record -- of selections that are difficult to find -- by Darge and Weller is just a fun find. And yes, this is on heavy rotation on my turntable.




Room for Squares – John Mayer
When this came out, I liked the record immediately and got it. But when I went back home, I left it (thinking I’d return). Turns out my roomie appropriated it for himself (with my eventual reluctant permission as he doesn’t know how to properly take care of records). Getting an original first press was cool because this is an awesome record from start to finish.

And it means a whole lot more because my nephew has John Mayer’s guitar teacher (Tomo Fujita) at Berklee School of Music in Massachusetts. 

Count Kutu and the Balmers – Count Kutu and the Balmers
When I learned that a Filipino mento/calypso band had a 10-inch record released in the US, I knew I had to get this. For one, I don’t know too many mento/calypso bands in the country. And they had their self-titled debut released in 2012 by North Carolina label Jump Up! Records.

There weren’t too many copies of this that were pressed. And I am just happy to get this.





Legarda/The Saddest Landscape split 7-inch single
Only 50 copies of this split single featuring Philippine post-rock band Legarda and Boston emo rockers The Saddest Landscape were pressed. Of those 50 copies, eight people in the Philippines own copies – four for the band members, three from the local promotion outfit that organized the show, and me. And I got the last copy. 

You won’t even find this on sale at Discogs (at least for now).

Rarity aside, I love the songs here -- "Lazarus" by Legarda and "The Sixth Golden Ticket" by The Saddest Landscape.




Love at Absolute Zero
Love at Absolute Zero and The Happiest Days of Our Lives – My Favorite
During the Alternative Music 90s, I began to get more adventurous musically. I discovered little known bands such as Morella’s Forest, Holiday Flyer, Julie Plug, the Legendary Jim Ruiz Group, the Aislers Set, Holiday, Belle and Sebastian (which eventually became popular), and Havalina Rail Co. to name a few. Then I discovered My Favorite by picking out the cd on the indie rack. 

Buying from the indie rack is a hit and miss proposition. Not everything you will like. But you could discover some real gems. New York retro New Wave band My Favorite was one of them. I got their cd, Love at Absolute Zero, and became an instant fan. It helped that their bassist was a Fil-American by the name of Gilbert Abad. 

I corresponded with the band and became friends with the lead singer Michael Grace who in my opinion is an underrated songwriter (an indie version of Morrissey who also writes pained songs that are awesome). Then moving to New York, I not only got to watch the band, but also get their autographs. I also bought their new album then (The Happiest Days of Our Lives) straight from them during a gig.
It was only this year that I was able to get their vinyl records along with a new seven-inch single of new tunes. The re-release of Love at Absolute Zero has some different tracks that they added from an EP while excluding some original tracks. I am fine with this but have targeted to get the original press of the album.

But I am happy to have these records.

The Happiest Days of Our Lives



No comments:

Post a Comment