Sunday, January 6, 2019

Playing Santana and Dakila



Santana's debut album that inspired a Fil-American band named Dakila also from the Bay Area to record an album.
What was Santana's music to me? A family friend of ours who recently passed away (Sonny Gonzalez) who I thought was one of the coolest folks ever had all these records from Santana, Sly and the Family Stone, Cream, The Yardbirds, the Doors, Sergio Mendes etc. When we'd visit them at their Merville home, he'd play all these records and allow me to handle them. That was so cool as a kid. When I play Santana I always remember Tito Sonny. I also think of watching local bands like the Fritctions.
The cover of Santana's debut album also called out to me from the wall of the old Electro King record store at the now gone Fiesta Carnival. That is now where Book Sale in Shopwise is. I thought, what an album cover! Then Santana released Abraxas. Oh, boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment