Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Singaporean new pop rock sensation, Islandeer, has Filipino roots



Singaporean new pop rock sensation, Islandeer, has Filipino roots
by rick olivares

Currently making waves in the island state of Singapore is pop rock duo, Islandeer, with their shimmering single, “Momento.” 

Islandeer is Christian Jansen (drums, guitars, and keyboards) and Michael Garcia (vocals, guitars, and keyboards). And if the names are any indication, the two have a Filipino lineage.

“My parents are pure Filipino and they came to Singapore from the Philippines before I was born,” revealed Garcia. “So, along with my younger sister, I grew up a Singaporean without much Filipino cultural upbringing. But, most of my relatives live in the Philippines, and my family would visit them at our grandparents’ house in Cubao every year or so.

Jansen’s family on the other hand settled in Singapore in 1940 right before the start of World War II.  “My grandmother was born in the Philippines. Her father, Carlos Bosito, was a band master who travelled around South East Asia while taking his family. He ended up settling in Singapore in 1940.”

The two also have music in their blood. Added Jansen, “My dad who is of Chinese-Eurasian mix, is a distant cousin to the members a famous local band called Heritage. My dad played drums for some small bands in Singapore in the 80s. My mom who is Irish-Filipino, is a self-taught pianist.”

Chimed in Garcia, “My dad kick started my interest in music when I was young. He also introduced Original Pilipino Music to me at a young age and it is definitely one of my influences.”

And it is those myriad and diverse influences that drive Islandeer’s music. The duo, which has been around for two years, have performed in many huge music events in Singapore including Urban Ventures, Sound Feeling at the Lithe House and the Pilot Project at *Scape which is an organization that allows local youth to bring their aspirations to life through music and the arts.

“Momento” is a breezy and at once atmospheric song with Islandeer drawing inspiration from their collective influences Radiohead, the Bombay Bicycle Club, the Beatles, Fleet Foxes, Tame Impala, the Strokes, and other indie rock music. 

“We wrote most of the songs on the album during our National Service which we completed last year,” revealed Garcia. “The oldest song we have is five years old and the latest song was written early last year.For “Momento,” Christian came up with the main chords and rhythm and showed it to me after our friend’s birthday party. Then half-drunk, we completed a basic demo of Momento in that night.”

Added Jansen, “That song is also about when you begin to notice everything about this thing or person, and time freezes regardless of the atmosphere or situation. Then comes rejection, which often happens when your attraction goes unnoticed. A strong yearning for reciprocation starts bubbling.”

The song has attracted attention from fans in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines.

Islandeer’s “Momento” is available for streaming and downloading on Spotify, Apple Music, iTunes, and Bandcamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment