Monday, July 29, 2019

Getting into Filipino hiphop and rap



I’ve listened to hiphop intermittently. Like a lot of folks, I started out with the Sugar Hill Gang’s “Rapper’s Delight” then moved on to the 2 Live Crew. Locally, I wasn’t a big fan of Francis Magalona until his second album that featured, “Mga Kababayan” after which I picked up everything that he put out (including his collab with Ely Buendia). I also have a pair of 12-inch singles from Masta Plann.

Later, I got Eminem’s albums and a Cypress Hill album and a 12-inch single from Young MC but that was it. 

Over the years, I got a few others. Calix’s The Lesser of Your Greater Friends and BLKD’s Gatilyo.

A few months ago, I picked up the Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse soundtrack. Not only was the film immensely enjoyable but the hiphop soundtrack was pretty good. So I got it. At that time I finally got myself a vinyl record of House of Pain’s Fine Malt Lyrics (when it first came out I picked up the CD). 

Then I did an interview with Alaric Yuson of Uprising Records (I wrote an article about the label that was followed by an article on 12-year old rapper Alex Bruce) and it took off from there.

Previously, I wrote about the Assembly Generals and Masta Plann.


No comments:

Post a Comment