Sunday, February 23, 2020

Watching Vietnamese band Cut Lon at Mow's


Went to see Vietnamese punk band Cut Lon at Mow's last Saturday, February 22. The band seemed certainly interesting as they called their brand of music "Pikachu-core" as they are all fans of the Pokemon character and they all wear Pikachu type costumes when they perform. It's quite a sight. It's far from the frightening stage personas of masked bands such as Slipknot or Mushroomhead, but cut Lon thrashes about with wild abandon.

And I must say there is more to this costume-dressing band... I do like their music. Even if I do not understand a word of Vietnamese. 

They released their 10-song debut album, Xao Ke, on cassette. And like their stage personas, the cover art belies the power of their music. I just had to get it along with a shirt.

Cut Lon unmasked. Taking a cue from American band, Kiss, the members of Cut Lon, are unmasked before their show at Mow's!


Move over Echo and the Bunnymen. Make way for Cut Lon!


That's me on the far right trying to take proper picks of Malaysian metal band Blackfire (before Cut Lon came on). What a solid night for underground music.

I had a blast watching Cut Lon and I hope to follow them on a regular basis.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm Seongjun from South Korea.
    you know what? I love the background picture of your Blog and I want you to send it to me if you'd like to.
    pkw5199@naver.com if you are willing to, thank you!
    and I also love Punk, Shoegaze and Hardcore shits! ^w^

    ReplyDelete