Friday, August 28, 2020

I Got My Music Fix at Route 196


I got my music fix at Route 196. 

Before I bid goodbye, allow me to take a trip down memory lane.

At one point in my life, I felt as if I was at the center of the rock and roll universe in the Philippines.

I lived in Cubao. About a 150 meters from where I lived was an old school chum Dominic Gamboa. Down the western half of the street – but you had to turn left – was the office of Jingle magazine.

If I walked a bit more to Edsa, there was Club Dredd. In fact, I did walk to the late great club. If I turned right into P. Tuazon from my street along 8th Avenue, at the corner of Ali Mall was the Cowboy Grill that had this great house band with a female American vocalist who gave the best impression of Robert Plant until I saw Heart’s Ann Wilson.

At the old Shakey’s in New Frontier, man… there were bands galore. And at Farmer’s Plaza, there were all these shops that sold punk rock tapes and gear. 

And there were at least eight record bars in the area alone! 

They are all gone now. 

As someone who has hit mid-age, I cannot help but wax nostalgic each and every time I pass by my old stomping grounds. And I always look at all where these places of my youth used to be and the memories come flooding back in vivid details and color.

Then my family left and moved closer to Katipunan. Unfortunately, I was done with school by the time we moved so it was my sibling who benefitted being closer to Ateneo.

After returning to the Philippines after some time abroad, I was happy to see Route 196 along Katipunan.

While I would go to Mayrics, Saguijo, and 12 Monkeys once in a while, I really preferred the clubs in the Quezon City side – Tomato Kick, 70s Bistro, and Mow’s. Perhaps the one exception to that was the Darkside Bar along Nakpil Street in Manila. 

But Route 196... it was introduced to me by former FHM editor-in-chief Allan Madrilejos – who co-owned the club at one time -- who was a batch behind me in Ateneo.  I loved going there because I lived close by. And since parking was always a bitch, I oft would walk although it was like a 15-minute walk. I liked the smallness and intimacy of the venue. How everyone knew each other and mingling with the bands was the order of the night.

There were some bands I would always watch when they were there – Ang Bandang Shirley, Itchyworms, and Ciudad to name a few. It is where I became friends with Kate Torralba. It is where I first saw Narcloudia that I wrote a blog post and an article that in their next gig at Tomato Kick it was filled with people because of what I wrote about their show at Route 196. It was where Sugar Hiccup played their last show. It’s where I caught Stomachine and interviewed them for a story on their album launch night. I wrote my first Squid 9 article during an album launch of theirs. Ditto for the Assembly Generals and many others. 

As with most of everything in this pandemic, it is hard to process loss. Most everyone or everything that has shifted this mortal coil – well, in my opinion, it wasn’t their time. It is because of some virus that emanated from that country west of Taiwan which is why the world is in this mess. Of course, this government has bottled it as well making me doubly angry.

This obituary for Route 196 is obviously days late. That’s because I am still processing it.

Even before the news of their closure hit, I would always pass by and look at the venue; just like I do when I see that old spot of Club Dredd along Edsa. I wondered how long can they hold on. Not for long, I guess. 

These past few days, I have seen a lot of bands and performers posting their pictures and sharing their memories of Route 196; and what it meant to them. 

Truthfully? It was painful reading them. 

I know every good thing comes to an end. 

The day that NU107 signed off, I was a guest by Pontri in his last show. It sure was a treat that I had a sports talk show on NU107 (right after Papadom’s Dread at the Control). I stood outside along with many others when it finally signed off and I felt like I got hit in the stomach. 

I got to see the Juan dela Cruz Band in their prime and in their very last show. 

And well, one of my fave indie bands, Narda… well, they’re gone too. 

There’s more. 

It is said that songs are actually time machines because they take you back to places you never thought you’d go back to. It’s true. 

I guess, you can say the same for these rock clubs that are now gone.

Thanks Route 196. 

Now where the F do I get my music fix?

No comments:

Post a Comment