Friday, October 2, 2020

Berwick Street, SoHo, London. A trip of my mind wandering, record digging. And my paean to Oasis.

 

Berwick Street, SoHo, London.

A trip of my mind wandering, record digging. And my paean to Oasis.

 

Certain places have an appeal. Time was, when I thought of New York, I thought of the Marvel Universe because many of their early comics were set in the Empire State. 

 

As for the splendor that is London, the Clash’s “London Calling” would play first in my mind. I’d think of punk rock shops, sex shops, curio shops, Lambrettas and Vespas. London, of course, is much more than that, but tell that to a kid who grew up discovering British punk and new wave. 

 

My friend Craig and I alighted from the Oxford Piccadilly Station then hoofed it all the way to SoHo which really isn’t far. On our way, we passed by Wardour Street where many theaters once were located. It is also where music Svengali Malcom McLaren’s infamous Sex shop was located. I once more thought of a song; this time from the Jam’ --  “A Bomb in Wardour Street” and envisioned bands like Siouxsie and the Banshees and Adam and the Ants at this club called Crackers that no longer exists.

 

What I would give to have seen all that.

 

On this particularly cold day in October, we were lucky the rains didn’t come falling down. So there was this excitement that Craig and I felt. 

 

Whatever hedonistic lifestyle in the 1980s that changed the face of London forever was now totally different. Whether because of gentrification and people growing up, the place was quiet. Business-like even. Honestly, I am not sure if that is good or bad.  

 

The number of record shops that also defined this street from the 1970s to the 1980s had greatly gone down. Reckless Records was still there as was Sister Ray.

 

We had gone here for music and to take a picture of where Oasis’ shot its iconic cover for their second album, (What’s the Story) Morning Glory? that was released on October 2, 1995. That album was my introduction to the band and I have remained a fan since then even if they are no longer active. 

 

It was just across Reckless Records where English disc jockey Sean Rowley and album sleeve designer Brian Cannon walked across each other with album producer Owen Morris on the left holding the master tape of the album.

 

The photo was snapped and ever since, Oasis fans would flock to that spot to have their photos taken. 

 

Ironically, that album that I must stress is celebrating its 25th anniversary cover shoot coast 25,000 British pounds. It is an obscene amount. 

 

Speaking of obscene amounts, the original press under Alan McGee’s Creation Records now fetches for about US $250. 

 

 

As a fan of the band, I wanted to take my photo at the spot and Craig obliged me. I was so excited I immediately Tweeted and shared it on my Facebook. 

 

At this time, I had not fully returned to vinyl (and was still purchasing compact discs). But Craig and I did go inside Sister Ray and we both knew we were in music heaven. 

 

There is this painting of a cassette with Bowie stenciled neatly on it. On the wall just across is a framed single of the Clash’s fifth single -- the 7-inch version of “White Man in Hammersmith Palais.” 

 

The ground floor was where all the cds were located. The basement is where all the vinyl was located. 

 

We must have spent two hours inside that at one point, one of the clerks asked, “Is there something in particular you are looking for?”

 

I shook my head. “It’s my first time in here,” I said – and I tried to hide by excitement but I think I failed. “I’ve always wanted to go here. And well, I’m on a budget as I still have to take some tours.”

 

“A tourist, are ya?”

 

“Yes,” I mumbled.

 

“Have a look around and enjoy yourself. If you need help, holler.”

 

There was a lot that I wanted to buy but since I was watching my expenses as I was only in the middle of my stay in England (with trips to Scotland and Northern Ireland still coming up), I only got a cd single of “Please Stand Up” by my fave British band, British Sea Power. 

 

Next time, I promised myself.

 

If you go down the northern side of Berwick Street, there is a street market were vegetables, produce, milk and others are sold. At the corner is the now famous comic book store, Gosh Comics.

 

It was past 1:30pm, Craig and I were starting to feel hungry and our first choice was The Breakfast Club except the line snaked around to the adjoining street. So we settled for a late lunch at Tasty Lebanon where I had chicken kebabs. I just love Middle Eastern food. 

 

We headed over to Knotting Hill with this silly hope of coming across Julia Roberts after which we went to Kensington where we ate at former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman’s Sticky Fingers restaurant.

 

After dinner, we split up and planned for our next meet up in four days as the next day, I was off to Scotland then Northern Ireland.

 

When I returned it was in February of 2016. Craig was unable to go with me this time, but it didn’t matter. I have an excellent sense of direction. I spent three whole days going around London by my lonesome. 

 

Of course, on my itinerary was a return to Berwick Street.

 

When I did, it was the day after David Bowie passed away and the shops along Berwick paid tribute to the Starman.

 

The display in front of Sister Ray were all Bowie albums. This time, I had money to spend. I came away with Oasis’ What’s The Story Morning Glory, Ska Madness 20 Reggae Classics Which Inspired the Two Tone Revolution, a David Bowie record, and this British shoegaze band, The Cheatahs. 

 

I had another picture taken – with the help of a passerby – for that Oasis cover shoot once more. Like I did two years ago, I immediately Tweeted and posted the picture on my Facebook. 

 

Of course, I went to Reckless Records and to Gosh Comics. Just like last time, the lines around The Breakfast Club were still long and I could only throw up my hands in dismay. However, this time, I ate at the rudest restaurant in London in Wong Kei with a friend of my aunt.

 

While we were eating, my aunt’s friend asked what I did that afternoon and I pulled out my iPad to show the pictures of Berwick.

 

Just as I was showing her, the waiter came over with our food. “Oh, Oasis,” said the Chinese waiter. He fished out his cellphone and showed us a picture of nearly the same shot at the same exact spot. He also showed pictures of him at Abbey Road for the Beatles album of the same name, and Heddon Street (for the Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars album. 

 

“When I came to London four years ago, I brought my cd of Oasis and had my photo taken. Outside Reckless Records.”

 

“Where are you from,” I asked in amazement.

 

“Taiwan,” he offered.

 

We gave each other a high five and smiled the smile of music fans on a magical mystery tour.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment