Monday, December 21, 2020

Barbie Almalbis-Honasan pens song for Aspins


Barbie Almalbis-Honasan pens song for Aspins

By Rick Olivares

 

Singer-songwriter Barbie Almalbis-Honasan has just released a new single on all streaming platforms titled, “An Aspin’s Song.”

 

The song is both an homage to a late grand aunt and also a reflection on where Almalbis-Honasan is at this stage of her life. 

 

There is an interesting story behind “An Aspin’s Song.”

 

“My Lolo Rene had nine or 10 siblings. All in Manila. Siya lang yung nasa Roxas City. I didn’t grow up with his siblings. He told me about his younger sister, Nita Hontiveros-Lichauco, or Tata for short, had at that time had about 30 cats and six dogs! And she cared for every one of them. Like who has that many pets? Hindi ko ma-imagine that my Aunt Tata had all that.

 

“When Aunt Tata learned I had become a professional musician, she would tell me to write about the plight Azkals or Aspins as they are called today,” related Barbie. “My Tita Alya (Honasan, who is the aunt of Barbie’s husband, Martin Honasan) is an animal welfare advocate and fur-parent to three Aspins named Kiko, Kikay, and Frankie. She always has a blanket and a cage inside her car and she would use these to rescue Aspins on the street.”

 

Eventually, Barbie took greater interest in the request as she felt it was something important to her relatives; more so when Hontiveros-Lichauco passed away at the age of 93 this past October 2020.  “I just started to have pets in my life (cats), but didn’t know much about dogs. I didn’t want to invent and write about something I didn’t understand so I asked Tita Alya to help write the lyrics,” further explained Almalbis-Honasan. “Writing this was like unfinished business.”


During her life, Hontiveros-Lichauco was the President of the Philippine Animal Welfare Society, which she reorganized in 1986, after having been one of its youngest volunteers in the ’50s. 

 

“When Aunt Tata passed away, it was touching to see this outpouring of love from family and friends and people whose lives she touched,” added Almalbis-Honasan.

 

Her Tita Alya eventually sent the lyrics to Barbie who took the challenge of working differently from her usual methods.

 

“I have never written a song with the lyrics completely done with a rhythm,” pointed out the singer-songwriter. “I did a draft on it and asked Martin to check it.”

 

Recorded at home during this pandemic, “An Aspin’s Song” follows her single from 2019, “Tigre” that was written for her cat, Vernie, and is a heartfelt tribute to her grandaunt as well as the beloved indigenous mixed-breed dog in the Philippines.

 

The soaring, inspirational anthem was mixed and mastered by Magic Montano, and was arranged, performed, and recorded by Barbie Almalbis herself on vocals and guitars, with her backing band, Jonard Bolor on drums, Karel Honasan on bass, Nikko Rivera on keyboards, and Stina Honasan and Midori Ulpindo on backing vocals. 

 

“You might say that these songs about my cats and dogs are about where I am in my life right now. I didn’t grow up with pets, and it is something new in this season of my life. Pets have changed my perspective about animals and life.”

 

Having pets changes the atmosphere at home and they bring out an even more nurturing side of you. And truthfully, they make for a happier home.”

 

Barbie Almalbis’ “An Aspin’s Song” is now out on all digital platforms worldwide via 12 Stone Records and Sony Music Philippines.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment