Sunday, August 25, 2019

Red-I and Cebu’s King Spade collab on new Japanese pressed EP


Red-I and Cebu’s King Spade collab on new Japanese pressed EP

by rick olivares
                                                                     
This 2019 is turning out to be a busy one for dub and soundsystem artist Red-I. In addition to the release of his Mystic Revolution EP by Japanese label, Oto Records last March, Red-I is set to have two more releases before the year ends.

This October will see the release of another EP titled, Kings Music, that includes a song with Cebu-based musician, King Spade, and the second will be a double LP; both manufactured by Japanese label Oto Records that previously issued Red-I’s Natty Dread I Beat EP and Mystic Revelation.

“I didn’t really know King Spade,” explained Red-I of the story about this collaboration. “One day, he sent me his acoustic version of his song, ‘Babylon Fall,” and I really liked the vibe. So we decided to make that a collaboration tune.”

Both musicians began trading files this past February with each adding parts until they formed a whole. The result is the Kings Music EP. 

“When we did the Irie Sunday event in Cebu earlier this year, Kings Spade picked me up at the airport.,” related Red-I. “I played him the riddim instrumental and he began singing, ‘soundsystem upon the soundsystem.’ I was like, ‘That’s it! Let’s call the song, ‘Soundsystem.’”

“I like working with King Spade because he writes his lyrics on the spot and I like creating with an artist on the spot because the energy and vibe is different,” added Red-I of this instant collaboration. 

Offered King Spade, “I am very honored to be a part of this collaboration. Ang galeng ni Red-I. Kings Music is like a child… naghihintay lang lumabas. Hindi namin minadali kasi pang soundsystem kasi yung tune.”

The repaired to Back Yard Studio in Cebu to record King Spade’s vocal tracks the next day.

The two repeated the same method with the second track, “Light” when Red-I flew into Cebu last May for the Cebu Reggae Festival.

The four-track EP, Kings Music (with cover art by Chico Zapotilla who also provided the art for Red-I’s Mystic Revelation EP) will be available on 12-inch vinyl from Oto Records this October.

No comments:

Post a Comment