Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Got both versions of Joe Satriani's Surfing With the Alien


I remember when my brother brought home a cd of Joe Satriani's surfing with the Alien. It was around 1990 and the album had been out for a few years now. I have to admit that the John Byrne artwork of Marvel Comics' Silver Surfer attracted me. But when we played it on a cd player, I was completely blown away. I knew I had to get a copy. 

I picked up the record and what you see on the right is the original American first pressing from 1987. The record on the right is the 2019 Record Store Day Black Friday release that comes as a two-record set. 

First of all, it doesn't feature the Silver Surfer as both Satriani's and Marvel's camps could not reach an agreement for royalties or whatever. And that is a shame. Both the album cover and the music go hand-in-hand. 

Now for the two-record set, one disc contains the original songs while the second disc is minus Joe's guitar parts. Yes, this is perfect for any guitarist as you can play alongside the classic record!

Happy though to have both versions!

No comments:

Post a Comment