Saturday, January 11, 2020

Toasting to the memory of Neil Peart and on a Rush soundtrip

I was already into a year into punk and new wave with my friends. Most were already catching up. Then one day, Rush's Permanent Waves dropped. "The Spirit of Radio" made the American Top 40 and I went, "What was that ??? " The closest I could think of was Yes, but I wasn't so much yet into that band although I did like their song, "Tempus Fugit." There was this band that Casablanca Records and my dad were giving a push - Angel - that was awesome and had the coolest logo ever (but they didn't hit) and another trio, Triumph.

But Rush blew me away. Geddy Lee's voice was so distinct. At times the high pitch reminded me of Yes' Jon Anderson but Geddy was also an awesome guitar player. Alex Lifeson was an incredible guitarist but it was drummer and lyricist Neil Peart who resonated the most with me. His drum work on "Subdivisions" is just so awesome. It was also his way with words for a budding writer and songwriter like me. And I do have his books ! 
Rush were never a hip band and that suited me and my friends well. Their long songs, odd time signatures, and lyrics inspired by Ayn Rand, Tolkien, and sci-fi books didn't sit well with the hipster new wave wannabes. They never had any sex appeal. But the bleeping rocked especially when they got out of their Led Zep phase with 2112.
We had our class band (when I listen to my songs then I cringe) and well, we were like the Ramones but we had our inner Rush that we wanted to channel. Yes, that sounds confusing.
I stayed a fan of Rush to this day. They released 19 studio albums and 11 live albums. I have everyone of them (the others I left behind at my old place in New Jersey). After Hold Your Fire, their 13th album, I shifted to getting cds. What you see below are all my original records that I got as a kid (save for Moving Pictures which is in Jersey and am having shipped to Manila).
Brought out what I have at home and am on a Rush trip and raising my coffee mug to Neil.


Had to re-watch Beyond the Lighted Stage again today (on Netflix) after hearing the news of Neil Peart's death. 

No comments:

Post a Comment