Sunday, December 1, 2019

A note on the U2 concert in Singapore



Some people were saying the sound was bad during the U2 show…. No, it wasn't. It was all right.

Well, it is like this and you will know this if you frequently go to live shows in large or small venues. Unless, all you know is something digital or on compact disc (or even vinyl).

I will try to not get overly technical and try my best to put it in simple terms. If you are wondering why I understand this, let me say that my dad took me to a lot of recording studios when I was a kid as well as a lot of shows. I was in the studio for Wally Gonzales’ final solo album and I asked questions about how it works. And I have been in many others as well. But of course, through the years, I watched, observed, listened and have been to a great many venues all across the world. I have spoken to recording artists and engineers or even stage designers. And yes, I can play the piano and bass. And tried my hand at drumming before.

Not every arena is built with sound acoustics in mind much less having a great sound system. If you notice in some arenas, the public address system booms and echoes so there you go.

Part of it is also due to the shape of the arena. For those who have been fortunate to go to La Bombonera, the home stadium of Boca Juniors, the sound is deafening. That is because stadia such as La Bombonera or even the Singapore National Stadium are spherical in shape. The sound bounces back ON TO THE PITCH MAKING IT NOISIER. For those who watch the UAAP games at either the MOA Arena or the Araneta Coliseum, you ever wonder why those drums make such a huge racket? That is the design of the structure and the acoustics. Take them out to an open field and the sound is different as it is dispersed. 

Box-type stadia designs and high ceilings help. But it has to also be a combination of many things. It helps to know what was the venue originally built for. Notice how classical music halls tend to be built with wood? Listen to how Joe Jackson's masterful Body & Soul sounds.

Venues that are made of wood sound very well. If you go to certain venues that have nice wooden ceilings, know that wood helps control the reverberation. The use of wood is also different. It depends on the thickness as well. 

By the same token, pick out a beat box and try playing it. Notice how it sounds different depending on the area you pound on. You can add some metal and holes here and it changes as well. 

If you go to a live show, you will notice that the sound boards are always two hundred to three hundred meters away so the sound techs can work on the sound. On the monitors, it should sound all right so why is why when they record the audio for live albums, it sounds well. 

Another factor is the use of the RIGHT OR PROPER SPEAKERS. If you understand sound, it disperses the farther it goes. Hence, in concert venues, some place speakers even farther out so the crowds in the back get the same sound. For the U2 show, I am not sure there were speakers in the back area. It was one of the first things that I looked for. So if it sounded weaker, now you know why. But diametrically, it isn’t so bad.

When I was younger, I preferred to stay as close to the stage as much as possible even if the sound was blasting my ears into oblivion. As I got older, I stayed away from the mosh pits and preferred to listen from the back so I can appreciate and dissect the sound and music.

Bands like U2 and almost all foreign acts really work on a good live sound and they employ top sound engineers and use top equipment. But you can only do so much when it comes to the design of arenas. Some compensate by not cranking up the sound. And yet, many bands do not really get the dynamics of soft and loud. Especially among local acts. Even in small venues, they sound like crap. 

So try to enjoy the show and the experience. It was a terrific show in more ways than one. Going to a concert isn't solely the music. It is the interaction between band and audience. Do they use effects and their LED? U2 has long made use of this. Furthermore, it is also the atmosphere and ambiance. 

If you constantly quibble about live sound, you can always stay home and listen to your records, cds, or digital music.

No comments:

Post a Comment