Sunday, December 15, 2019

Renewing acquaintances with Gary Valenciano



During one our planning meetings for our annual Christmas Party, I sat next to Angeli Pangilinan-Valenciano and I renewed acquaintances with her. She is an old colleague of my dad during his music/showbiz days. 
I told Angeli I still had a few of Gary's old records and she in turn asked how I managed to save them all these years. You know me, I said... this old collector... And we spoke about one show in 1989 at the old Rizal Theater in Makati (where Glorietta side the closest to Ayala Avenue) where Josephine "Banig" Roberto was introduced to a larger audience. 
That show was more than memorable for me because the girl I was seeing at that time was leaving for Belgium for good and I was crushed. It was our last date so that show was even more memorable. It was raining that night and well, as we said our goodbyes, I was teary-eyed (I did see her years later and she's now married and still living in Brussels).
Back to Gary V.... during my college days, I once woke up one Saturday at home to find Gary and Angeli at our sala talking stuff with my dad. You'll never know who would stop by. One time it is Pepe Smith, another it would be Florante. or Freddie Aguilar.. or Zsa Zsa Padilla. It was incredible. 
Watching Gary twice this year is a blessing. I was telling DJ Jose during the concert that I saw Gary stretching and warming up outside the VIP area. I also watched him during the soundcheck. The man never takes things for granted and always gives it his all. 
When we had this picture taken, he asked about my dad. We talked a bit as I had to run back on stage as I was one of the emcees for the night. Now that's another thing I never thought I'd do... introduce the Man to the audience. 
What a night. What a party. 


No comments:

Post a Comment