Monday, December 7, 2009

musicforthemorningafterabreakup














Yesterday, I picked up the Pete Yorn & Scarlett Johansson album "Break Up." I've been a fan of Yorn's ever since his musicforthemorningafter album came out. I've always ranked that as one of my fave "break up" concept albums alongside Prefab Sprout's "Steve McQueen." Although I don't have any of his succeeding two albums (I have no idea why), I did love his version of the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" from the Ramones tribute album We're A Happy Family of several years ago.

As for Scarlett Johansson, since Lost In Translation, I've been a fan of this actress and am eagerly anticipating her part in Iron Man II. In Lost in Translation, that excellent and bittersweet movie by Sophia Copolla, she did some karaoke with Bill Murray. Not really the best voice but not bad. Kinda earthy and sexy. And it sure was nice (and maybe brave) of her to sing the Pretenders' "Brass In Pocket."

So when she cut this album where she was on board as a real collaborator with Yorn, I just had to get it. One can say that Johansson's voice might be weak and maybe they're right but it seems just right for this album.

At first listen I thought I was listening to a Raconteurs album (see Jack White). But as Yorn describes it, it's his way of doing an album that he described as in the style of Serge Gainsbourg and Bridgett Bardot. And it may not be for everyone but I love the charm, honesty, and simplicity of the music. One of my fave pick ups of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment