Saturday, November 11, 2017

In a Coltrane mood



I didn’t get into John Coltrane, Miles Davis, or Cannonball Adderley until about the early years of the new millennium when a cousin of mine took me to Birdland where this cat was playing Coltrane on a Coltrane night. The CD is what I first got while working at Virgin Records. The record on the lower left is the remastered version while the one on the right is a second US pressing.

It's easy to say that you can like A Love Supreme when it is considered a classic. When I first played the album, there was a lightness, a buoyancy to Coltrane's music. A celebration of one's spirituality. From what I know, Coltrane was at his peak in 1964 and his music would soon change after A Love Supreme. 

I love it also for its timelessness. The simple beauty and sheer exhilaration of performing free jazz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment