Sunday, November 19, 2017

Playing Deep Purple's Machine Head and reminiscing



I remember taking those jeepney rides from Katipunan to Recto (I was coming from Ateneo to pick up my then girlfriend at UERM then UE Recto) and vice versa in jeeps called “Highway Star”. They did have Highway Star painted in front; that's how you knew. They were mean and fast jeeps that were slightly bigger than the usual ones that sped along those traffic choked streets without a care; with those 8-track cartridge tapes blaring from its speakers. Deep Purple’s Machine Head was a staple of that jeepney fare. I didn’t get Machine Head until much later as I kinda hated it after getting pulverized from those jeep rides. I think it was in Hong Kong when our German boss hosted a party at his home somewhere in Victoria Peak and he began playing this record that I started to dig it. So I picked it up at this record shop in Stanley. And playing it since, takes me back to those jeepney rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment