Wednesday, March 28, 2018

What's left on my vinyl Bucket List?

When I started collecting vinyl records once more in January of 2017, I started out by simply trying to get my favorite records from my younger days. Not the entire collection of my youth as I do not think I will be able to get each one of those again especially in the near mint condition in which I kept them. I do take good care of my collections. I had a few records that survived my mom throwing them out through the years and the devastating pair of a flood and fire that destroyed much of my belongings.

Since the time I returned to collecting, I have gotten a lot of what I once had and then some. Many others though, I have not.

Surprisingly, I have not gotten any records from Men At Work, the Sex Pistols, Guns 'N' Roses, and perhaps most telling… Kiss, as they were my first ever favorite rock group. I can't put my finger on it -- did I outgrow them? Do I consider them unworthy in my collection? The former maybe it's a yes but to a point. The latter, no. Many of them I eventually got on compact disc so I will leave them at that. Now all my Kiss records from their debut up to Unmasked which is the last Kiss record I ever got were all US pressed and in near mint condition. I loved them as only a kid can. Nowadays, it is hard to find near mint copies as all my records were. If I do get any Kiss records they have to be in the same condition for me to fully appreciate. 

I think it's more that I am not as well off as many others so I pick and choose what I want in my collection. I am happy with a lot of what in my collection especially with the OPM stuff. There are a lot of others that I never will bother to get though. I like to think I have a streamlined and better curated collection that is even more eclectic than it ever was (although my compact disc collection of some 5,000 titles is even wider in range). 

What else am I looking for? Are there any more records from my youth that I am keen on bagging? Here are the last from my “Vinyl Bucket List” and mind you – original pressings and not re-issues.
Ocean Zoo’s 7-inch single
X-Mal Deutschland's "Incubus Succubus"
Bob Marley and the Wailers’ Exodus
X’s Under the Big Black Sun.

After that, I’ll just get a few more here and there but not too much. At this point, I am fine with what I have.


No comments:

Post a Comment