Monday, April 29, 2019

Dingdong Avanzado on his Skydome concert & overseeing daughter Jayda’s career



Dingdong Avanzado on his Skydome concert & overseeing daughter Jayda’s career
by rick olivares

There’s a hint of white in his hair. But they boyish grin and that spark that has always lit his eyes is still there. Thirty years into the music business, Ding Dong Avanzado is like the Philippines’ version of the later American radio and television personality Dick Clark, who was nicknamed “the Eternal Teenage” because of his youthful looks even well past middle-age.

On Friday night, April 26, at the SM North Edsa Skydome, in a concert dubbed “D’80s” (produced by Ed and Liza Dural), Avanzado put on an incandescent show that he and his band, the Doorbells, even went beyond their prescribed setlist. “I’m having fun,” he said on several occasions during the show as he raced through some of the popular songs of the 1980s before launching into his own hits and then some.

“I don’t think I have had to really work in these 30-plus years,” Dingdong shared an hour before he took the stage. “Music and performing has been a passion so what I put into my songs and performances is a reflection of that passion and love.”

For those who haven’t seen Avanzado perform in a while, he had ditched minus one shows for a live band. “As an entertainer, I feel like I am shortchanging the audience; para akong nag-videoke when I sing minus one,” he related of the decision to put up his own band. “My long-time musical director Elmer Blancaflor suggested putting up a band and true enough, iba yung quality ng show. Iba yung feel ng show kapag may banda.”

And 30-plus years into the business, Dingdong continues to bring that familiar energy to his shows as he constantly hops, skips, jumps, dances, and interacts with the crowd. Friday night at the Skydome was no different. 

While his voice is no longer thin, high-pitched one when he started out, years of performing and taking good care of his body has seen his range widen. He can still hit those high notes, but he can lower them into a maltzy baritone when need be. Hence, a range of New Wave, original, and OPM classics for D’80s.

As much as the crowd loved the New Wave covers, they jumped, danced, and sang along to his original songs – Original Pilipino Music classics – such as “Tatlong Biente Singko” and “Maghihintay Sa’yo” among others. 

At one point, he held his wife, fellow singer and actress Jessa Zaragoza’s hand, and looked deep into her eyes as he sang a song. And he also looked and acknowledged his daughter, Jayda, herself a promising singer and songwriter.

“Music,” pointed out Avanzado. “Is like a love affair. I gave it my heart and soul and it has given me a family and an opportunity to live and even make others happy.”


“With my band now, we try to do different versions of my songs. When I see young kids appreciate my music and it’s a great feeling,” said Avanzado. “More so a song like ‘Tatlong Biente Singko’ which for a title sounds so dated (named for the three 25 centavo coins one had to plunk down to make a telephone call in public pay phones) still does well. Even with my own daughter who at first didn’t get it.”

A couple of years ago, Dingdong and Jessa released “20/30”; an album that celebrates Zaragoza’s 20 years in the industry as well as Avanzado’s own three decades. The album, under Star Records, featured reimagined versions of their songs with each singer doing takes of the other’s classics. 

But right now, Avanzado admits taking a greater interest in Jayda’s budding career. “When at age 12, she began writing her own songs, I told myself, ‘This is real.’ And my wife and I completely threw our support behind her choice of a career.”

While Jayda represents the future. Friday night belonged to Avanzado (and opening acts Esremborak, JR Custodio, Maria Laroco, and Benedict Dural). 

“That was fun,” he pronounced after an hour and 30-minute set. 

And who says Dingdong Avanzado is done?

With old friend, Dingdong Avanzado.







No comments:

Post a Comment