Monday, April 15, 2019

The Skatalites, Papadom & Je Bautista


In 1994, I was handling some small jazz and world music labels and Tropical Depression's magnificent Kapayapaan just came out. I had yet to sign Parokya ni Edgar and Datu's Tribe although I already saw Put3ska that then handled by Je Bautista (who along with Dominic Gamboa or Papadom before he went to La Salle Lipa were a year ahead of me in Ateneo).
The Skatalites' 30th Anniversary album was sent to me with the option to release it locally. Domeng lived about 10 houses away from me in Cubao and after work, I went over and showed him the Skatalites' cd.
I asked Domeng, will this sell? He said, yes, but do not order too many. At that time, I had released several albums from Shanachie Records, the Skatalites' label at that time. Through our efforts, they did all right here in the Philippines. So I wrote their president and said that the reggae and ska scene was growing. But cds were expensive and the local market preferred cassettes as vinyl began its decline. I would try and ordered only 50 cds.
The president of Shanachie sent me a cd signed by the members of the Skatalites and members of Toots and the Maytals who were a part of this recording. I gave it to Domeng as a gift. He was so happy that during their next show at Club Dredd, he thanked me on stage and urged the crowd to buy the Skatalites album. I think I sold 30 cds that night. After a week, I sold all my 50 copies and ordered another 50.
So I pulled out my copy of this cd and the memories of those days came flooding back.

Playing it now.

This is for Papadom and Je.

No comments:

Post a Comment