Monday, April 1, 2019

Short Stories Put3ska




I lived very close to the Edsa Club Dredd. In fact, I could walk all the way there. Hence, tambay ng Dredd. So, I got to watch a lot of bands, some I got to sign to recording contracts.

One band I really liked was Put3ska. I loved the 2-Tone Movement and I thought it was great that we had a band of our own. 
Put3ska not only had the sound but the look. I know there were others that came before but for me, Put3ska was my fave. They looked the look and walked the walk.
When they performed at Dredd, the venue was always packed and stomping. Outside the Eraserheads, did anyone else pack the old joint as consistently?
It was cool to see Arnold Morales' transition from the Urban Bandits to Put3ska and give their old hit, "Manila Girl" a ska treatment. Then as in now, I always thought that he was one of the coolest. Our own James Dean with his head shaven.
I became fast friends with Myra and Bing and the others. and at one point, as a record executive, I even advised them on record label matters since I belonged to one. 
Now these cds... they mean a lot to me.
I keep these cds next to my Desmond Dekker, Bad Manners, and the Specials records. Obviously, they are special. 
But you know what is really special? It is that reunion show. It's like the Specials when they got together all those years ago after quite a spell of absence. 
To see the Music Museum packed, skanking and stomping is going to bring back great memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment