Sunday, April 15, 2018

Bullet Dumas: That album on the horizon



Bullet Dumas: That album on the horizon
by rick olivares

It’s a quiet afternoon along Maginhawa Street, Teachers Village in Diliman, Quezon City. It’s too early for a beer or even an electric performance never mind if it’s just one song. But Bullet Dumas is known for his golden nuggets, songs, if you will, about life, sung with equal parts gentle inflection or charged emotion.

Opening the press conference for the upcoming Iisa concert featuring his 3D cohorts Johnoy Danao and Ebe Dancel with a solo number sets the tone for the audience with media and the show to come this June 9 at the KIA Theater.

He performs “Galit” that calls to mind “Sa Madilim na Sulok ng Kasaysayan” from another passionate performer in Chickoy Pura and “At Nakalimutan ang Diyos” from the Wuds; all three with biting and powerful social commentary.

The rage is over when Dumas’ song is done; his toothy smile there for all to see.

“My songs are a combination of a lot of things,” he says outside Jess and Pat’s, site for the Iisa press conference. “My songs come from the experiences of different people and what I see from day-to-day life. What is happening to our country, to families, to people I know and don’t know. I also use a lot of symbolism in my writing. It may not be a direct person or incident but the symbols or metaphors I use do well to enhance them. As for my on-stage passion? That comes from focusing on live work as opposed to studio work.”

He released some songs online in 2014 and has added a few more over the years. They can all be found either on YouTube, Spotify, or Soundcloud. As for a full-length and physical album whether on vinyl, compact disc, or even cassette, Dumas says, it’s in his plans.

“I would prefer that it happens sooner than later,” he divulges while admitting that he’s been around for so long and is probably the only performing artist without an album to his name. “It is funny and odd,” he says of that fact. “Sure I have stuff online but it can hardly be called a proper album more so since they are recorded with a lot of time in between.”

“Eight years is a long time,” he points out to his debut as an independent musician in 2010 and who grew up inspired by the songs of Joey Ayala, the Eraserheads, Rivermaya, Francis Magalona, and many others. His other two 3D cohorts – Dohnoy and Dancel – have each at least five albums out whether with a band or solo.

“I get asked that question all the time – when am I coming out with an album,” he admits. “I think the reason why I have not done one yet is because I am growing as a musician. I didn’t come out all polished. There is much to learn from performing and songwriting as a craft.”

“It is something I do not want to rush but prefer to let it happen naturally. But yes, it is something I want to do. After the Iisa show with Johnoy and Ebe, I will take time to think about it and see if I can get the album done.”

“Eight years? There’s a lot that happened. All these things, experiences, stories, and people to write about.”

You can bet that as a whole, that album will be emotional.

Dumas smiled that toothy grin of his once more.



No comments:

Post a Comment