Friday, April 13, 2018

Counterfeit and the Bootleg: Black Flag and My Bloody Valentine

Here are a couple of more bootleg records in my collection:

BLACK FLAG - LICORICE PIZZA AND MORE...


I am lifting this from the Grave Mistake Records website: There's a pretty cool story behind this 7". I guess back in Late '81 (early '82?) in order to get ready for the release of "Damaged", Black Flag had about a hundred or so promo 7"s printed with "Thirsty and Miserable" on the A side and "Life Of Pain" on the B side. Both of the songs were different (out-take) versions of the songs which would appear on the "Damaged" LP. So they took these promos (with no covers) down to Licorice Pizza and asked the people that worked there to hand them out to people who they thought would be interested. Well, I guess the assholes that worked there didn't think anyone would be interested, so they threw the fucking things away!! So all but a few copies were destroyed, but lucky for you, and for me, a few years ago, someone came across a copy and decided it would be a good idea for this to be released out to the public. This bootleg 7" was born out of that idea. It has the demo versions of both songs that were originally released on the promo 7", and also an old demo recording of a demo version of Spray Paint, with Dez on vocals!! This thing is pretty amazing and a record that will most likely want to be heard by all Black Flag fans. Enjoy!!


MY BLOODY VALENTINE - LOVELESS

When Creation Records released this album in 1991, it was in limited numbers. This was of course, the boom in compact discs so there were more CDs pressed. Personally, I didn't get into My Bloody Valentine until I got into Slowdive so I backtracked. I was able to get the CDs of Loveless and their earlier effort, Isn't Anything. 

Now fast forward to 2012, there's a demand for vinyl and old MBV product. That time, there weren't any reissues so some guys in Europe pressed the unofficial LP re-release of Loveless on blood red vinyl. Check out the picture above. Sound-wise... it's all right. Not the greatest because I think they lifted this from the CDs. But until I get the reissues, it's all right.

But this past February 2018, the band re-released vinyl editions of 1988's Isn't Anything and 1991's Loveless. To my knowledge, aside from being limited in copies, they also contains bonus tracks not available anywhere else. As a fan, I am getting them. 




Also check out my earlier post: Counterfeit and Bootleg Part 1: The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Duke Ellington, and Smashing Pumpkins. Just click on the link.

1 comment:

  1. I constantly spent my half an hour to read this
    website's articles daily along with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete