Wednesday, April 25, 2018

The Best of Punk and New Wave Rock -- the Hong Kong and Philippine press


In the summer of 1980, this compilation album was released in Hong Kong and the Philippines. It was a bunch of punk and little known new wave bands from the United Kingdom. Maybe except for the Sex Pistols whose reputation preceded them. 

Prior to its release in the Philippines, this was heavily advertised on DZRJ. A lot of fans, myself included, looked forward to this and I saved my allowance and did my classmates' homework so I had some extra money because this record cost P24 which was huge back then considering a seven-inch 45rpm single was five bucks. 

I can actually say that The Best of Punk and New Wave Rock changed my life. It was my first ever punk rock album and it made me fall in love with the music style (well, the Ramones were the first for me but this was my first punk record). In fact, this was the first ever punk rock album released and pressed in the Philippines. It was also the first with the Virgin label. 

I still have my original Philippine pressing and was able to acquire the Hong Kong press that is in near mint condition. 


The album on the left is the Hing Kong press while the one on the right is my original Philippine pressing. Aside from the darker hue on the cover for the HK press, I marked in red the subtle differences. 


No comments:

Post a Comment