Friday, April 13, 2018

Grooving to the Beatles' Revolver.



I bought one record at the Beatles store along Baker Street in London – Revolver - in 2014. The album is perhaps my favorite Beatles record. I used to think it was Abbey Road but decided years ago that Revolver was my favorite among many Fab Four favorites. I'll tell you though, choosing a favorite Beatles record is tough.

Nevertheless... Revolver. From the cover art by their friend and collaborator Klaus Voorman (he also played with John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band) to the back cover photo by Robert Whitaker, I thought it was the perfect package. 

Musically, the Beatles built on the music of Rubber Soul while laying the groundwork for their next two records Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour with their experimentation with psychedelia and world music.




My Beatles Revolver tote bag and record.


The album also contains some of my favorite Beatles songs ever in “I’m Only Sleeping” of which the Vines did a great re-make for the I Am Sam soundtrack, “Here There and Everywhere”, and “Got to Get You into My Life” which was the closest they’d get to Motown.


Interestingly, during my first ever Beatles tour of Liverpool in 2014, I visited the gravesite of… “Eleanor Rigby” at St. Peter's Parish in Woolton, Liverpool.



The sign outside Abbey Road Studios, of course, is from a fave Beatles song.

1 comment:

  1. Ridiculous story there. What happened after?
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete