Friday, May 16, 2008

One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands

I remember watching the video on "Change" on the then nascent MTV as its videos were shown illegally on Rhythm of the City, 99.5 RT's show on television. Even before that I was already a fan of Tears For Fears.

Their music was different from the gloom and introspection of Joy Division and similar bands. I always thought that British bands had a grander sense of music and its potential for lush landscapes owing to Europe's classical bent and TFF was every bit one. Even their second album, Songs From the Big Chair even if it rocked harder than any other effort, it maintained a different feel to the execution.

It seems that every band has its version of Sgt. Pepper's and TFF had their own with The Seeds of Love arguably their finest effort.

Even as Curt Smith went solo (I did look him up in Greenwich Village in New York), I remained a fan getting their succeeding efforts Elemental and Raoul and the Kings of Spain. It was in Elemental that I found one of my favorite TFF's songs that may not be on the scale of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" or "Mad World." That one is "Goodnight Song," the last track on the album that has references to Smith's departure. And when I saw the video, I thought it was one of the coolest in spite of its simplicity.

Here is it, as I found it youtube. Hope you all like it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment