Friday, February 3, 2012

Completing my collection of animated film faves



For as long as I have lived, I have always enjoyed animation. Those old Marvel superhero cartoons complemented my love for comic books. As a kid, I wanted nothing more than to write and illustrate a Marvel comic book series. And to this day, it is still a dream. And I got to stalk former Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada outside their Park Avenue offices in Manhattan while trying to pursue that dream.

Back in my school days, I tried to collect betamax tapes (later in VHS format) of my favorite cartoons. The problem with tape-based material is they get worn out after repeated playing so I was quite thankful when DVDs were invented.

In recent years, I began to collect the animated films of my youth beginning with the Ralph Bakshi animated adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. Then I picked up Ninja Scroll, Mobile Suit Gundam: Stardust Memory (my all-time fave Gundam series), Akira, and Battle Angel Alita. I also got Appleseed, Patlabor the Movie, Cowboy Bebop, and Blood the Last Vampire.

Then the other day, my package containing the other Baskhi films Wizards and Fire and Ice as well as Hayao Miyazaki’s Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind arrived. In a marathon session, I watched all three films including their bonus features. Watching them was more than a trip down memory lane. It was like visiting an old friend. It was a happy thought and a good memory that brought a broad smile to my lips. It all the more convinced me to pursue what I really want. As soon as my eldest soon graduates from college, I can earnestly pursue these dreams of mine.

1 comment: