Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Dream Theater in Manila 2017; My post-concert thoughts.



There are bands that are just awesome live. What I mean is they are able to not only replicate their sound in the studio (with its overdubs and layers of sound) but they better it.

Dream Theater is one such band. Theirs is always a powerful live performance. On display are not only darn good songs but the band’s collective and individual brilliant musicianship.

Prog Rock among Rock Music’s multiple and varied sub-genres is one of those that really showcases a musician’s talent and technical expertise. Aside from that, what I have always loved about Dream Theater is their combining metal with post-punk sensibilities to go with some classical and jazz undertones. Especially their 90s albums that came after Images and Words, you could hear a certain grunge and punk influence coming from John Petrucci’s guitar. Yet first and foremost, Dream Theater is a progressive metal band.

I have been fortunate enough to see Dream Theater previously with Mike Portnoy on drums. While I was sad to see him move on, the man pounding the skins in his place, Mike Mangini, is no slouch. He’s plenty awesome himself.

I also like the fact the lead singer James LaBrie engaged the audience in conversation. I love the interaction. While LaBrie constantly asked the audience to sing along – and I think it’s cool – I am of the school where I prefer to watch and listen to the band. I can understand all the cellphones and iPads coming up to take pictures or videos of the performance but too much of it can get irritating. Sometimes, it obscured my view. But I was fortunate to stay near the production booth which is higher so I have a good view of the stage. Plus, the music isn’t blasting into my face so it comes out great.

The first set took me by surprise. I thought they’d play songs like Dance of Eternity, A Nightmare to Remember, Lost Not Forgotten, Lie, Octavarium, and Peruvian Skies but they didn’t. Nevertheless, the songs they chose weren’t bad at all. Four of the seven songs from the first set were recorded in the Mangini-era.

Of course, hearing them play Images and Words complete and in the order of the track listing was awesome. It is something you will not see them do again.

That album was released in 1992 and I remember going to HMV just near where I lived in Hong Kong. One of the people who worked at the store knew I was a massive fan of Rush so he said, "Hey, you gotta listen to this album." And he offered me a CD of Dream Theater. I liked the name right away and put the CD into my basket. When I got to my apartment that was about five-minute walk from HMV, I played the CD and as soon as Pull Me Under played, I remember going, "Holy fuck! What the heck is this shit?" And I back tracked and picked up When Dream and Day Unite. Been a massive fan since. 

Yet like every Dream Theater performance I have seen, I was blown away. The crowd was great as well and you can see the band feed off on that energy and it made for a memorable show. I wonder if the band considers their Manila show as one of this tour’s best.

Me? I enjoyed every minute of this three-hour show. And this is gonna stay with me for a while.

Set 1
The Dark Eternal Night (From Systematic Chaos)
The Bigger Picture (From Dream Theater)
Hell’s Kitchen (From Falling into Infinity)
The Gift of Music (From The Astonishing)
Our New World (From The Astonishing)
Portrait of Tracy (Jaco Pastorius cover from the late bassist’s self-titled album featuring a John Myung solo)
As I Am/Enter Sandman (From Train of Thought)
Breaking All Illusions (From A Dramatic Turn of Events)

Set 2 (All from Images and Words)
Pull Me Under
Another Day
Take the Time
Surrounded
Metropolis Part 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
Under A Glass Moon
Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live

Encore (From A Change of Seasons)

A Change of Seasons I: The Crimson Suicide

A Change of Seasons II: Innocence
A Change of Seasons III: Carpe Diem
A Change of Seasons IV: The Darkest of Winters
A Change of Seasons V: Another World
A Change of Seasons VI: The Inevitable Summer

A Change of Seasons VII: The Crimson Sunset

2 comments:

  1. This is really a momentous occasion! A very memorable one.. I'm still in awe! Mabuhay DT! Prog on! ��❤️��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write up sir! I was also one of the fortunate ones to see them live. This brand truly lives up to their name.

    ReplyDelete