Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Talking to Dream Theater's Mike Mangini


I have been a fan of Dream Theater since Images and Words came out in 1992. I bought the CD and eventually the record. I have also seen them three times all in New York City and with former drummer Mike Portnoy (I used to live in NYC). When the band comes over to Manila next week, this will be my first time to catch them with Mike Mangini on drums.

We got a chance to chat with Dream Theater drummer Mike Mangini last Sunday several hours after their big concert in Seoul, Korea. The man was engaging and passionate. What follows are just a few questions and answers.


Rick: Hi, Mike! How’s the tour going?

Mike: It’s fabulous. We’re all having a great time!

Rick: I’ll jump right into the questions since we do not have a lot of time.

Mike: Shoot!

Rick: Mike, when you auditioned for Dream Theater, you had to play, “A Nightmare to Remember”, “Dance of Eternity”, and “The Spirit Carries On”. Now what is it like learning to play and perform the songs from Images and Words?

Mike: It’s simply fun. I don’t know if that’s the word. I am not just talking about playing the drums and being on stage. What I am talking about how tight the band sounds. How solid it sounds paying tribute to that music. For me, it is personally wonderful to have my bandmates be happy with how I am playing it (the album).



Rick: Let’s talk about that monstrous drum kit you are using for the Images, Words & Beyond Tour. How on Earth did that design come about?

Mike: The kind of design is definitely to orchestrate. I was an orchestrally trained percussionist so the different pitches of the drums have meaning to me. The different pitches with the symbols have meaning to me in an orchestral way. If the music demands big drums being hit, I do not want to be hitting a tiny little jazz drum. It’s not going to fit. I need to have a spectrum to orchestrate. The other aspect of it to me, I don’t know a better word to use right now but it is a fulfilment almost on a spiritual kind of level. I am talking about who we want to be; who we aspire to be. We try to be better. Just to be better. The drum kit is an extension of me not worrying what anyone says or thinks whether they like it or don’t like it. not. I know it is the right extension of my soul. So on two levels, to orchestrate and two, to makes me happy in a fulfillment kind of way.

Rick: Speaking of drums, let me backtrack a bit, do you still teach at Berklee?

Mike: I resigned as soon as I got the Dream Theater job though I finished my commitment. There is just no way to combine them. I love teaching and my colleagues. There was just too much of a clampdown. They do not have this substitute teacher kind of thing. This required me to be there too much. I would have loved to balance it.

Rick: When you found out that you won Dream Theater drummer’s job, that was a good 10 minutes where you rambled, waxed ecstatic, and well, lost it. Six plus years later, do you still feel that way; like pinch yourself and go, ‘damn, I have the best job in the world!’ How do you feel about it and everything that has happened?

Mike: You’re right. However, I have a job to do. It’s waking up each day. And I keep my thoughts simple. I need to feel well. I have to eat. I have to be well. I needs to learn songs. I need to do my job.

The way I see it there is trash to empty, there’s leaves to rake, there are people to take care of, there are things to do. I am not thinking too much about that moment but I never forget. Put it that way. I remember it and it makes me feel grateful. And I definitely hold on to it but I am of the frame of mind that I just have so much work to do. I am just trying to do my work. So it’s a little balance of both.

Rick: Thanks for your time, Mike. Never lose that passion. I’ll see you in Manila!

Mike: All right! I look forward to seeing you too. Thanks for your time as well.




------------------

Here's my piece on the band coming to Manila with conversations with James, JM, Mike, and Jordan.

http://the11-11pages.blogspot.com/2017/09/manila-bound-dream-theater-is-living_89.html

No comments:

Post a Comment