Monday, September 11, 2017

This old issue of Time magazine -- The Tribes of Britain

How big of an impact did punk rock make back then? Well, look who made the cover of Time magazine in October of 1983.


I remember when I first saw this issue of Time magazine. It held me in thrall. These were my punk and new wave days and the former really held sway with me. My folks used to subscribe to Time magazine and I immediately appropriated it. My parents though -- not because of the cover story -- got it back so I purchased my own. And that is what you see in this picture. I saved it all these years! For the past 34 years to be exact. 


Reading the entire issue, I devoured every word. More than my school textbooks I guess. Hahaha. When my mom had a photo taken with some punks in London around this time when she was there for work, I was insanely jealous. I wanted to go to London. It became a dream. But I wasn't sure what I wanted to be -- a punk, a Mod, or a Rockabilly teddy boy. Hahahaha. But I guess, I wanted to be a Mod because they drove cool Vespas or Lambrettas. 


The other week, I had a long conversation with Arnold Morales. And like me, this particular issue captured his imagination. It was common ground for us as we spoke of this ad what we read.

Reading this again after all these years, I am still fascinated. The cool thing is I have been to London on several occasions. I still don't have that picture with London punks though.




2 comments:

  1. i had a t-shirt i bought from Apple Picker who has this guy on.
    Glad to see Apple Picker is still alive in Harrison Plaza, Those were my salad days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rick, great post. I actually found your blog through trying to find THAT copy of Time magazine. Is there any way you could scan the article and send it to me? I'm writing a book about life in the eighties. I'd be happy to pay you for your trouble. My email:fizgig46@gmail.com Cheers Min

    ReplyDelete