Monday, February 19, 2018

Lolita and the Boys' "Usok" is probably the first ever recorded Filipino reggae song.


I was in first year high school in 1981 when I first heard Lolita Carbon over DZRJ. No, it wasn't Asin, but the song, "Usok" was credited to Lolita and the Boys. Now, if I remember it correctly, this is the first ever recorded Filipino reggae song. the only reggae artist I knew was Bob Marley and the Wailers so knowing we had a local reggae song was pretty cool.

Back then (like the case of the album The Best of Punk and New Wave Rock), the jocks announced when the album was out in record bars so people could go buy it. So I waited and when it was finally available, I saved up on my allowance and dashed after school to the old Musikland in Ali Mall, Cubao. The single sold for PhP5.00! That was a lot back then especially for two songs when a LP sold for PhP24.00!

Yet I didn't mind it at all. I was just happy to have this and to still have this to this day -- it's pretty cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment