Sunday, November 25, 2018

An Irie time with Steve Vibronics in Manila



An Irie time with Steve Vibronics in Manila
by rick olivares

I was supposed to watch Vibronics, the British reggae/dub collective at Irie Sunday last November 18, but I was bone tired to take another step after a heavy weekend of sports coverage and attending the November Komikon.

Luckily for me, I still got to sit down with Steve Gibbs (aka Steve Vibronics) at Seattle’s Coffee at BGC this past Tuesday, November 20, to talk about his Manila gig, reggae and dub, our mutual love for punk rock, and his records.

I had heard of Vibronics from Eric Hinton of Thievery Corporation during one chit chat years ago. How that came about was my following Hinton’s previous band, the Exodus Quartet during the acid jazz years until the formation of Thievery Corporation. I love Thievery for their unique meld of reggae, dub, bossa nova, jazz, and world music into an incredible synthesis. I have all their records and list them as one of my all-time favorite recording acts. So, if they recommend anyone, who am I not to check them out? They obviously know their stuff.

Steve’s set during Irie Sunday wasn’t his first gig in Manila. He did one in 2011, and now he’s on another Asian tour having just finished a show and a dub workshop in China. In Manila for a few days, he’s off to Japan this Wednesday, November 21.

This Tuesday afternoon, he has a recording session with Filipino reggae/dub artist Red I, and the Briton is excited and optimistic that the collaboration might result in something fruitful.

“Collaborations are at the heart of what I do,” explained Steve. “After all, I cannot do everything. I collaborate with a lot of musicians and singers.”

Even if this is his second time in this part of the world, Steve is still amazed that people know of him and the music he makes. “Until I started traveling, I only thought that my music was heard in the UK and Europe,” admitted Steve after a sip from his coffee. “I guess it is because of the internet that people get to hear all these underground acts.”

“There is this vibrant network of underground bands and artists. Everyone knows everyone and everyone supports one another. I just put the word out and the guys in China, Manila and Japan said, ‘let’s make this happen.’”

Irie Sunday saw a couple of hundred people pack the venue for a night of reggae music and Jamaican food. “My idea of fun until some of the neighboring establishments started to complain about the loudness of the music. We had to reach a compromise about what was acceptable and listenable.”

Growing up in Leicester City in England, Steve knew right away that he wanted to make music for a living. “Some people want to be professional football players, civil servants, doctors, or even astronauts. Me? I wanted to make music.”

During his formative years, he was weaned on punk and New Wave. And then came reggae and dub. “Since Jamaica was a British colony, we have always had Jamaican expatriates in the UK. And they brought their music along so we were exposed to a wide variety of their music – reggae, dub, ska, rock steady. And I fell in love with it. And when I got to make my music, I always wanted to take it as far as I could.”

In his 20 years as an artist, Vibronics has released 14 albums and 73 singles and extended play albums. Talk about being prolific.

“It helps that I have my own studio,” explained Gibbs. “Some people get up in the morning and pick up the paper to read or surf the net. Me? I make music.”

And Vibronics’ music has seen Steve travel all over the world. “I used to think that we had a great dub scene in England and in France, but there are great scenes as well in Peru and Mexico. I think it is pretty cool as well here in Manila. Color me amazed,” he enthused.

With his collective experiences and travels, Gibbs stated that one of the biggest thrills of his life was having the famous (and late) British DJ, John Peel, play one of his records on his show. “It did tell me that I have arrived,” gushed Steve. “That’s John Peel!”

Sipping the last of his coffee, Gibbs pronounced, “I have released records and that’s a great thing for someone weaned on records. I have collaborated with a lot of artists and performed in many places. And now to be sipping in a coffee house in Manila with you and to be recording later with Red I… have the best job in the world.”


No comments:

Post a Comment