Saturday, November 3, 2018

Q&A about record collecting

My first ever record collection back in the 1980s ran up to about 1,500 records. That was lost over time with some destroyed due to fire and flooding. By the 1990s, I gravitated towards compact discs and left my records (I kept some though which survive to this day). I purchased a few records over the years, but I never listened to them. That changed in late 2016 when I made my return to vinyl. Today, I have about 1,200 records and counting.

But I have slowed down. I have gotten back many records that I lost and had as a kid. Some I don’t bother because I have them on compact disc. I get only what I like. I have received a lot of queries about my collection with others inquiring about collecting tips. Let’s go through them.

Why do I love listening to music on vinyl?
Well, for starters, it was the medium that I was weaned on. I grew up in the 1970s (my elementary years) and the 1980s (my high school and college days). As early as in sixth grade, I was into music and got my first vinyl records then. I saved my allowance and did odd jobs to buy the stuff that I wanted (comic books, toys, and records). 

Second, I like the idea of holding something physical in my hands. I like looking at the album art, reading the liner notes, and full and rich sound of music on wax.

If I want to start a vinyl collection, how do I go about that?
Decide what you like. The music, the artist. Figure out if you prefer to get second hand records or the newer 180-gram vinyl. That is purely preference and not about being in or what.

It is easy to binge buy. I would decide what I like then go around and sample the different prices among the independent sellers around the metropolis. There are some titles that you just have to pick up right away but that depends of their availability. But do this so because of the following factors – price, the condition of the jacket of the record and the vinyl itself, and well, the pressings.

Remember, many of the records that were pressed in the 1970s to the late 1980s numbered in the millions so there’s a lot of that out there. Eventually, a record in near mint or very good condition will pop up. You have to be patient. Of course, if you have the money to burn then you can get even a sealed copy. It all depends on your preferences.

Is the pressing important?
Not really. That again is a matter of preference. Some like Japanese pressings which I don’t. I was weaned on American, British, and Philippine pressings so that I what I get. The sound quality of Japanese records is supposedly better. Maybe. Maybe not. I couldn’t care less for the sound. Then I’ll just put out my compact discs of which I have a lot.

As for me, like I said, I grew up on American and British records. If I can get a first press, I will, but that is not for every record. Only a few. And if I can afford it.

Take my small reggae collection on vinyl. It is mostly limited to Bob Marley and the Wailers, Third Word (their first four albums in particular that I consider to be masterpieces), Jimmy Cliff, UB40, Inner Circle, and Burning Spear. I have a few of these records that are pressed in Jamaica. I think it is pretty cool to have them as Jamaican.

Are Philippine-pressed records desirable or valuable?
Again, that depends on where you stand. The Best of Punk and New Wave Rock Vol. 1 and 2 were only pressed in Hong Kong and the Philippines. You will not find this anywhere else. Good luck with that. And I have both pressings. Remember when Ben Watt was looking for a Philippine press of Everything But the Girl’s “Cross My Heart” on seven-inch? There ya go. Yes, they can be valuable.

Some will say that they sound terrible. That depends on what era they were pressed. Records pressed locally between 1960 to the early 1980s are good. The recession that came after that saw local record companies scrimp on materials hence an inferior brand of vinyl. Just the other day, I picked up a local press of Scottish New Wave band Friends Again. At P500, I am just happy to have it.

Some records come in variant covers and different colored vinyl. Should I get into that as well?
Again, that is a matter of preference and availability. That was hardly the norm when I was growing up. I am happy getting a record whether in black or colored vinyl. It is the music that matters anyway. I collect not for the value, but because I love the music.

I do not understand people who buy records but don’t play them. What’s that for – display? I think they got into music for the wrong reasons. But if that is their trip then so be it. I kinda thumb my nose down on that though. I figure they are what makes this hobby rather difficult – they inflate prices and fuel price speculation.

Do I collect seven-inch singles?
Yes, I do. But not like I do vinyl. Only if I really like a song. It is a dream to buy a jukebox one day and should that happen, I will put all my seven-inch records there. I get local presses and foreign presses. I prefer the ones with picture sleeves though.

The collection that I am trying to put together though are all the songs used in the Guardians of the Galaxy films. I have about half of them at this point.

What are the most expensive or valuable records in my collection?
Ah, easily… the Original Pilipino Music records that I have. They number a little over a hundred. The “valuable” ones in my opinion are the test press of Gapo (a compilation of 1970s Filipino rock), the Juan dela Cruz Band records, Identity Crisis, and my Pinoy punk rock records. My punk rock records (1980s West Coast, the 1990s punk revival, and New York hardcore) are definitely in demand and pricey.

Is it all right to have bands sign my record jackets with my name on it?
Again, that is your preference. I have them sign them with my name on them. After all, I have no intention of selling them. When I die, they will go to my son. I really couldn’t care less about value. I can have an obscure band and if I like them, then I treasure the record.

Should I ditch my compact disc collection?
No, you shouldn’t. I have about 3,000 compact discs and I am not getting rid of them. If vinyl and cassettes made a comeback, it stands to reason the cd will. Besides, I have quite a nice collection. My OPM collection on cd is darn good. I will even stake my claim as one of the best you will find anywhere. I have a complete set of Eraserheads in near mint. The bulk of these cds are from the 1990s band scene in Manila. Good luck finding them. Even if they are available, many of them are very expensive and prolly not in near mint condition as my collection is.

As for my cds, yes, I still play them. And I do have a cd player.

How about cassettes? Is their return a fad?
No. It has been around just not that popular since the 1980s. Many indie and underground artists use them. In recent years, many Philippine underground bands prefer that medium.


As a kid, I didn’t get too many of them. I don’t even think I had more than 50 at one time. The one time I earnestly collected them was during the Twisted Red Cross years but I lost them all during the flood that engulfed my home. I think my cassette collection is bigger now than it ever was back then.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for some other great post. The place else could anyone get that type of info in such a perfect manner of writing?
    I've a presentation subsequent week, and I'm on the look for such info.

    ReplyDelete