Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Cold Still by the Boxer Rebellion


I discovered the Boxer Rebellion with their song "Spitting Fire" and since then I've picked up all their albums. This international indie rock band (their members are from the Australia, England, and the USA) delivered on the promise through their three albums unlike similar bands like Razorlight or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Quite quickly they jumped up into my hallowed list of all-time favorites. And I'd say that it was a tremendous bonus that they were featured quite prominently in the film Going the Distance starring Drew Barrymore and Justin Long (for some reason I got the same kick that I felt when I saw Siouxsie and the Banshees in Out of Bounds starring Anthony Michael Hall). Their new album The Cold Still was released just this month of March and when I first played it, it seemed there was a little Radiohead influence to it. But am not complaining. I just love the new album. It might start out a little slow with "No Harm" but I urge you to give it a listen using your headphones to appreciate it. I think that's important because it sets the tone for the album before other songs like "Step Out of the Car" and "Cause for Alarm" have that vintage Boxer Rebellion sound. It's a keeper.

Discography:
Exits
Union (the best of the lot)
The Cold Still 


And if you like the Boxer Rebellion, check out Canadian outfit Arcade Fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment