Friday, August 25, 2017

Interviewing Drew Stone of the New York Hardcore Chronicles.

My copy of The New York Hardcore Chronicles
As someone who was able to watch some of those New York Hardcore bands -- in New York, of course, I needed to pick up the DVD of this film by Drew Stone who himself is a part of the scene. He graciously answered all my questions on his way up to Portland.

Rick: How long did it take to finish the film? 


Drew: The New York Hardcore Chronicles Film took me about 3 years from start to finish. I began shooting it about a year after I started my other film “Who The Fuck Is That Guy? The Fabulous Journey of Michael Alago. They were both were released at the same time so it’s been a very busy summer doing screenings, traveling and doing interviews like this. I am very blessed. 



Rick: With the entire story tied neatly down, did you get sentimental going down the road of history?



Drew: Always. I have a deep passion for American Hardcore and I’m a film maker so being able to finally tell this story is extremely gratifying. 


Rick: What bands did you enjoy watching back in the day?



Drew: When I first got into hardcore back in 1981 the bands that I really loved and that inspired me were Minor Threat, Black Flag, SS Decontrol, Bad Brains and The Misfits. I saw these bands play any chance I could especially the Bad Brains since they played New York quite a bit back then. They were an amazing live band back then and in a lot of ways I have not seen anything like that since. 


Rick: What was the most enjoyable part of making The New York Hardcore Chronicles Film?


Drew: Connecting with people regarding our passion for NYHC is my joy. Once the film started to get some momentum and reveal itself it was very exciting to sit down with people. 

Rick: What has been the response to the film? 



Drew: Great, people really love the film and I’m very proud of it. I’ve done a bunch of screenings, The DVD is out and it can be streamed on I-tunes and Amazon as well. 



Rick: Any new projects on the horizon?



Drew: My other film “Who The Fuck is That Guy”? The Fabulous Journey of Michael Alago is heading to Netflix in Oct. and I also have a Muhammad Ali documentary that I’m involved in that’s moving right along. Chances are we are going to do a few ANTIDOTE shows if the right opportunity comes up and I’m doing my acoustic thing with The Drew Stone Hit Squad every now and then. Sometimes I feel that I am one of the last truly independent filmmakers and I want to thank everyone for the support thru the years.

Rick: Thank you too and good job and good luck with The New York Hardcore Chronicles and your other projects.



No comments:

Post a Comment