Wednesday, December 13, 2017

A Blast from my past: The Growing Up soundtrack


If I recall correctly, the soundtrack of this 1978 film was first released in the Philippines before the actual screening. I used to look at the album's cover art and geek out at the juke box, Elvis, Bill Haley, and Little Richard to name a few. 

The film originated in Israel under the title, Lemon Popsicle, and featured all these big hits from the 1950s as you can see from the songs and the artists below.

When the film was shown -- if I am not mistaken around 1981 -- I went to see it and well, the story stayed with me. It was obviously about growing up, falling in love, discovering sex, and learning about heartbreak. and for someone barely into his teens, it was an eye opener.

I don't remember much about the film save that it was later re-made for American audiences and was titled, The Last American Virgin which I also saw but lacked any empathy from me. What I do remember most is the soundtrack. I love it because it has some Italian songs like "Volare" by Domenico Modugno and "Come Prima" by Marino Marini. That is pretty tough to find.

I must have played the soundtrack to death and really have no idea what became of it. I did manage to re-acquire a copy and am not letting this go. Am loving it every bit as much as I did when I was a kid and then some.

And it goes nicely with my other records of 50s/60 music Stand By Me, The Big Chill, and Grease. 

Growing Up was cool too.





No comments:

Post a Comment