Friday, December 8, 2017

Remembering John Lennon on his death anniversary



Today is the death anniversary of John Lennon. Thirty-seven years after his murder, I still pause to reflect on the man's effect on me. 

I was a music fan at a very early age. I loved music more than I loved my football and baseball. While I loved and played sports - watched the New York Yankees and Liverpool Football Club -- music consumed me that I wanted to be a rock star. I got into the Beatles at a young age. After all, I was born at the height of their popularity and learned to sing their songs even before the band broke up.

It's hard to say who is my favorite Beatle. That is like asking you to choose who is your favorite among your kids in a weird way. While I tend to lean towards Paul McCartney (I too am a left-handed bass player), I love George Harrison too. And John... was brilliant. Still is when I look back at his body of work and life.

I was in Grade Seven at the Ateneo de Manila when John was murdered. It was a Tuesday morning and our home room teacher entered (to announce that Lennon was shot and killed). My classmates who were heavily into music weren't sure what to feel; we were stunned. As stunned as a seventh grader can comprehend. 

I saved up to buy the Lennon biography Strawberry Field Forever (book with the black and white cover by the lower left of the photo above) and saved the People's Tonight newspaper.  Years later, my Beatles and Lennon memorabilia grew. 

The Beatles Anthology book, I got that in 2004. That year was the 40th Anniversary of the Beatles' invasion of the United States and Coliseum books slashed that expensive book to -- here it goes -- $19.64 (the year of the Fab Four's arrival). I could then afford to get it and I still have it.

However, it was my "communion" with the Fab Four and Lennon in my adult years that I cherish. I lived close to the Dakota where he was shot. And oft hung out at the Strawberry Field park in Central Park. I twice went to Liverpool, England for my Beatles tours. I have to admit that got me all emotional. I still after all this time.


Outside the Dakota where Lennon was shot (some 10 steps from where I stood). 


Outside Strawberry Fields in Central Park



Outside John Lennon's childhood home in Mendips, Liverpool. John's room was the one in the upper left. The pedestrian lane where Cynthia Lennon was hit and killed by a car is nearby. I stopped by that pedestrian lane but didn't cross. 



The barber shop by the roundabout that John sang in "Penny Lane"


Next to Lennon's statue outside the Cavern Club in Mathew Street, Liverpool.








No comments:

Post a Comment