Saturday, December 2, 2017

At the HiFi Show at the Dusit Thani Hotel


It was my first time to attend the Hi-Fi Show at the Dusit Thani Hotel. I made it in spite of a bad ankle (gout) and the mid-afternoon Saturday traffic. 

Digging me a crate. I mostly stayed at the mezzanine floor where they had all the records. I have a sound system so while I checked out the hardware at the 7th floor, I wasn't too keen. After all, I spent a lot on my own system.
With my Ateneo batchmate Bernie Marquez. 

The records I got this day: Ella Fitzgerald Sings Count Basie Plays: A Classy Pair. Fleetwood Mac (the first album with Lyndsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks), Gary Valenciano's Moving Thoughts, the Stand By Me soundtrack, and Third Eye Blind's great self-titled debut.

I have been a fan of Ella Fitzgerald since I was a kid. My father played her records endlessly and although I was too young to appreciate it at that time, the music embedded itself into my consciousness. And getting into Ella a few years after college was easy. Love this stuff. And how about that Stand By Me soundtrack? Love those old songs. Wish they added more to this. Anyone know where I can get those old Growing Up soundtracks?

I used to have every single one of these records. I basically got back what I lost. For those new to my music blog, I once amassed about 2,500 vinyl records back in high school and college (which is amazing since I got a lot of really good titles even if I wasn't working yet) but lost them to moving abroad (my mom threw out many of them) and to a fire that burned down my home. 


This year, 2017, was the first year, I really got back into vinyl. I bought a few over the years but mostly preferred CD as my medium of choice. My return to vinyl had something to do with a former girlfriend gifting me some records and a portable turntable. 



No comments:

Post a Comment