Sunday, October 22, 2017

Catching Texas brutal death metal legends Devourment at Mulligan's


I went to watch brutal death metal band, Devourment, at Mulligan’s in Makati last Friday night. I have to admit while I am not a huge fan of the genre, I wanted to catch these brutal death metal legends. I have heard and read about them but never seen them perform live. And what a show! Despite the humidity, Devourment gave it their all with some intense and screeching death metal that they are known for. 


It wasn’t a complete line-up for their Manila show (as part of their nine-country Asian tour). Rob Rosas (vocals), Chris Andrews (guitars), Dave Spencer (bass), and Brad Fincher (drums) were on hand while second guitarist Kevin Clark was unable to take a leave from work for the tour. That didn’t lessen the intensity of their show one bit.

Apparently, their show at Mulligan’s was their second time in the country. And from what I was also told, this show was better attended as the previous one wasn’t properly attended.

When listening to bands like this, I try to keep an open mind. The lyrics – brutal, graphic, and even violent – aren’t to my taste and liking, but that’s the genre for you. Like I said, I can appreciate it. And I came away with a much better appreciation for who they are and their music. 

I was actually surprised that the show was held on a street next to some homes. While a permit was secured to perform, I am not sure if the folks living in the Bel Air area know that they were in for some ear-splitting and violent music. True enough, the band was unable to finish the show as the permit to perform was until 12 midnight. The neighborhood officials had to stop the show leaving the band and the paying fans somewhat unsatisfied. Devourment was unable to perform their last three songs.

Picked up a couple of re-issued CD’s in Butcher the Weak and Unleashing the Carnivore. Plus, this cool looking shirt.





The CD and the merch!

With Devouring Humanity's Brian (guitars, drums, bass, and vocalist of the two-person act) on the extreme left. He was giving away copies of their self-titled CD. I was unable to catch his set (his co-bandmate, Grant who plays guitars, bass, and sings too was unavailable). So Chris used a drum machine. On the right is Bakhti who is at almost every punk and metal gig selling records, CDs, cassettes, and merch!

No comments:

Post a Comment