Sunday, October 22, 2017

Getting the Juan Dela Cruz Band to sign my records


Years ago, I had every Juan Dela Cruz Band record ever made. I was fortunate enough to collect them as a kid and I even got Joey Pepe Smith to sign Kahit Anong Mangyari during the album's launch in 1981. Four years ago, I lost almost my entire vinyl collection (I lost about 2,500 records while my dad lost his collection of 15,000) to a fire that gutted my home. I took three years before I decided to return to vinyl (I actually stayed away since 1993) and in doing so, got back many of the records I loved and enjoyed as a kid. And that included new old copies of Himig Natin, Super Hits, and Kahit Anong Mangyari. 

Pepe was the first to sign the record again and this was during the benefit show for Maria Cafra drummer Rolly Averilla's son at Handlebar.

And a month later, Pepe signed my copy of Shinki, Speed & Glue while interviewing him and Mike Hanopol for a Full Blast Pinoy Super Bands article at McDonald's Katipunan. They were headed for a show out of town.

Mike signed not only my copy of Kahit Anong Mangyari but also his debut solo album, Awiting Pilipino.

As a youngster, my dad would take me to a studio in Greenhills to watch Wally Gonzalez record an album. My father was the president of the Philippine Association of the Record Industry (PARI) for 27 years. I went to that studio twice. One time, Wally played his copy of Foreigner's Head Games. I will not forget that. I was rummaging through his records and he came over and asked if I liked music. I nodded. He picked out Foreigner and played it loud. We even played alongside one of the tracks. It was an amazing afternoon.

Now I need to get him to sign my CDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment