Monday, October 30, 2017

Some of those old Beatles records: 1st Live Recordings, Decca Tapes & Tony Sheridan



I cannot remember what film I saw about the Beatles where the song "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" was played. Of course, I know that song as a kid. Who didn't? 

What I or maybe even many do not know it evolved out of a Scottish folk song from the 1700s. 

Now back to the Beatles. As a young fan, I thought I knew all their songs and albums. It was only later in the early 1990s when I saw a compact disc of Tony Sheridan and the Beatles that I finally got a copy of the recorded song by the Fab Four. 

I love these early pre-fame songs of the Beatles. There's a child-like innocence about their rock 'n' roll music unlike the more popish fare they recorded when they exploded into the stratosphere.

Now, I got the vinyl editions of the Tony Sheridan and the Beatles songs, the Decca Tapes from their audition for that famed London label, and the 1st Live Recordings from the Star Club in Hamburg, Germany (with Ringo Starr on drums).

As someone who owned the original first UK pressings of all the Beatles albums from their Parlophone and Apple years (I lost them during a fire that burned down my house four years ago), these were welcome additions to my Beatles collection. Regarding my records lost in the fire -- well, I have decided not to replace them because they are not only hard to find but they are pricey. I just have the compact discs with a few of the re-mastered vinyl records.


The Beatles records with Pete Best on drums! 




No comments:

Post a Comment