Thursday, January 18, 2018

On UB40 and that great divide



I wrote (and even Tweeted) UB40 the other day telling them I am looking forward to this album that's going to be out by the 2nd of March. I got a reply from the band saying that isn't the new album at all and it's another one instead. I didn't get it and decided to research. And i found out that the band split into two and this one right here, A Real Labour of Love, is by one side that features Ali Campbell, Astro, and Mickey Virtue. So there are two UB40s each suing each other. Just like Yes and Stiff Little Fingers.
I sort of lost track of UB40 in the late 90s and even stopped buying their albums. Not because I wasn't a fan I just moved in another direction. 

I became a fan of the band back in the 1980s with the release of the great Labour of Love album but sort of lost touch with the band in the 90s not because I didn't like them. I simply moved into another direction. When I saw the advert for this, I thought it was a great way to get re-oriented with UB40. Instead there's this.
Sad to hear of this and do not know what to think. Does this change the way I will look at the two new competing releases? I have no idea. While I like their music, I don't have that strong emotional connection to other artists I never stopped listening to. But I do like them and now I want to check out what I missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment