Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Playing Siouxsie and the Banshees' A Kiss In the Dreamhouse


The first song of Siouxsie and the Banshees that I ever heard was "Christine" and it was so different from all the New Wave music that was coming out then. There was a hint of the macabre and that scared me. After all, I was about 13 years old and my world was rapidly changing. Punk and ska had me in a tizzy. 

The Siouxsie and the Banshees happened. They frightened the crap out of me but I remained entranced. Siouxsie was my absolute crush. While I had crushes on the rock goddesses of that time -- Blondie's Debbie Harry, Pat Benatar, Kate Bush, and Altered Images' Clare Grogan, it was Siouxsie who was fantasized about. 

In fact, I remain in her (as well as the band's) thrall. Years later, decades actually, as a fully grown adult, I attended a Goth festival in New Jersey where it was like going back to those days when I discovered the Banshees.

Anyways... A Kiss in the Dreamhouse is the first record of the band that I purchased. It was a British import - a pricey one at that. But I loved the record to pieces and played it a lot. Melt, Painted Bird, Slowdive.... what's not to like?

In January of 2016, during my last trip to London, I purchased the compact disc of the album to replace the record that I lost to time. And now, I was able to buy a new record. 

Boy, does this bring back memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment