Thursday, May 24, 2018

A Santana Woodstock trip


Growing up in the 1970s and 1980s, Woodstock was such a big name and word. It stood for peace, love, and damn good music. And as I recall it, the two biggest names to come away out of that three day rock music festival were Santana and Jimi Hendrix. I was too you to comprehend all that in 1969. Only later when my musical awareness grew in the late 1970s. I remember hearing "Soul Sacrifice" and being blown away by that song especially the drum solo. That was my intro to Latin Rock; world music for me back then if you will. And that sub-genre, helped me appreciate modern acts Ill NiƱo and Puya to name a few.

Then I picked up the self-titled debut of Santana and Abraxas! I was now a fan. And decades later, I still am.

I am certainly glad to have the three LP set of the Woodstock concert, the 2017 RSD vinyl release of Santana's memorable and famous Woodstock set, and the book as written by the festival's promoter, Michael Lang. 

Memorable and intense!


No comments:

Post a Comment